The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
New Tugger "Rap" out there yet? 

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Post Re: New Tugger "Rap" out there yet?
When changes are made to a work such as CATS, when does it go over the line and become something other than the original? The photo of Tugger shows a very unique costume design, and the character of Tugger might like the change, but as Capt. Wazoo observes, he does not LOOK like a cat. After all, is that not 'What a Jellicle Cat' is supposed to be? As to Tugger's Rap? Again, 'Tugger' might like it, but CATS was written from TS Elior's Practical Cats, and the 'Rap' was not in that published work. Has ALW forgotten that? I would like to know what Valerie Eliot thinks about the changes as well...

If these hints are the foreshadowing of what is to come, I think I go along with what Ebenezer Scrooge said when he was told by Marley about being further haunted... "I think I'd rather not..." (Scrooge 1970) The projected changes creates another work. Call it "CATS II: Inspired by CATS" instead. Leave the original alone...

Respectfully submitted,
Rumblepurr
The Old Writer Cat.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
The other thing that bugs me about the Tugger costumes is that it does not match any other costume in the show. The old wig was a Cats-style wig.

On a more positive note, there is one thing I appreciate about Nicole's performance: she sings most of the song quietly, and then shows off her belting at the climax. She goes from contemplating in sadness, to pleading for forgiveness. THAT is how Memory should be sung. It bothers me when singers belt through the whole song. "Touch me!" should be spine-tingling. I'm not sure how her acting is, but so far I'm not hating her singing.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:18 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Here is a bootleg of about half the song sung by Nicole. Ok, I'm warming to her version. I think I'll have to hear it sung a few times to appreciate her version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuywi4paZRo

Purrs,
VTWC

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Another "Memory" performance. This is her best performance so far, that belt is incredible.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYHDaGHIRQY

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

GUYS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kyxZV3-zFFs

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

NOOOOOOO!!!!

OMG, it's AWFUL! This is not the Tugger number! The extra added music is horrible! The pacing of the song, and everything. I can hardly understand the words, except for the Chorus! So so bad and pointless on all levels.

And the worse part is that Tugger himself is NOT SINGING for half of the song!

This will never be CATS for me, keep the old Tugger! CHANGE IT BACK!

Purrs,
VTWC

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'll be honest ....I was expecting way worse. It's at least kinda catchy, although the extra music is awful. My biggest annoyance is that costume.

It was never my favorite song in the show, so I could tolerate it if they brought back the old costume.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Grizabella the Glamour Cat + both Memories (actual recordings) ....there's some new music before Act 1 Memory

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfEIeLWiCD0

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Have to agree about the costume. I can't stand it. I miss the old Tugger so much now.

Purrs,
VTWC

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In itself, I quite like the rap. It uses the original words quite well, is in character, and bits like "Rum to the Tum" are adorable, though Tugger as he was is pretty much lost to the new younger version who's cute and warm, but not sexy and, looking totally different, all the way through it feels like the tribe's missing someone. I don't like the way all of them singing about him for half the song comes across, it's really feels like they're all tutting about him rather than him coming on and announcing himself proudly.

I'm not sold on Nicole's singing, though the first time I saw it she had an interesting timbre once she'd stopped being breathy and the belt was amazing. The second time, though, she sounded nasal, though she was singing normally, ie not through her nose, so I don't know what that sort of sound is called, but I wasn't a fan. I quite like the costume, though I find the sequinned dress more glamourous and I prefer the curly wig too.

I like the new pirates' outfits and they are more varied in style and colour than I noticed originally. I don't like how they've redone the song at all, though. They've taken most of it out and shoved back what's left with a few new lines to make it rhyme and make sense. The new song is okay, the bit about the bandicoots is cute with "off they scoot, see him coming, they all salute", though they're unlikely to do both at once. There's one line that sounds great, "At Henley there was dancing on the Strand" where the tune goes down the note rather than up and it sounds incredible, but the rest is no better than the original. It does have character with the pirates keeping on saying "Grooowwwltiger!", but the ending gets lost when he just says "It was tragic! Tragic! I was forced to go kerflop" without the full line or rhyme. They've taken all humour out of it (though that had got farcially over the top since London) and his personality now is so dark and harsh, I didn't find it tragic at all. He also says "cos" instead of pausing after the line about not liking the Siamese and that sort of modern word has no place amongst Eliot's words.

I'm not sold on the new Beetles' Tattoo either. The new dance is fine, very stylish and it does have some elements of the stomping I like from the original, but I like the original a lot and I loved the double-stamp they do near the end. Losing little things like that and the pirates swaying their heads in unison to the line "the barge at Molesey lay" are a shame really.

There are other little changes here and there, like at the very end of the ball they pause and then all flump to the floor where they used to hold a stretch or jump and then land facing the audience. It's lost something with the flump, I think. Also the music is very loud in parts like the Macavity fight and it's a drumbeat to start with so it's just a massive loud thumping and I found it overbearing. Others I'd noticed way back when the tour first started aren't so obvious now, so maybe are partly gone, but there was what sounded like steel drums and electric guitars in the fast part of the ball and they sounded fantastic.

There are lines drawn on the red sheet thingy and the umbrella for Skimbleshanks' train too, to make it look more obviously a train. It's not really necessary, but it's kinda cute.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow, I hate this more than Tugger's rap :?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuhKiY0cRY

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

HIGH QUALITY HIGHLIGHTS RECORDING: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hvnNJ7GShK0

(Her acting is terrible, ugh)

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next