The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
New London recording? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post New London recording?
When ALW and the RUG put on the Cats revival at the Palladium this Christmas/winter season, will there be a new Cats cast recording? It's been 15 years since the video and there hasn't been a major official twin-disc recording of the score in English. I'm wondering if they might use this occasion to produce a new recording, since ALW wants to include his recomposed versions of Tugger and Growltiger in the score.

I know this may not be likely because this revival will run for 12 weeks only. However I'm sensing that it might be a good time. Admittedly, I'm still attached to the Broadway album with Buckley and I find it hard to imagine an alternative setting of Growltger to the one we know and love. However I would be glad to welcome a new complete cast recording of the score.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: whistling Jelicle Cats while I do the gardening
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: New London recording?
I went to the show-and-tell for this at the London Palladium a few months ago and ALW was very much talking about this production being the new template for the show going forward, so yes: all the signs are good.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

This is reassuring news. However I still have some niggling doubts. What if there are people at RUG that only want to produce a single-disc recording fit for sale in supermarkets that only stock single discs? I was worrying about this because I saw that it had happened with the 2006 London Evita. I'm hoping it doesn't have to happen with the new Palladium recording of Cats. If anything, an 80-minute disc might shortchange fans when the producers could have done the whole score.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:22 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

o wpuld LOVE another English recprding. especoally now that the ending to Billy McCaw music wose isn't as boring as it appears on the Original London cast Album.if they DID make another one, i wonder if Andrew would reprise his Keyboard role in the orchestra

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]