The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
“Updates” To The Show Are NOT Good! 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Classic ('80s) Nickelodeon
Main Role: Other...
Post “Updates” To The Show Are NOT Good!
By now some of you may, or may not, have hear that Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber has decided to give CATS a bit of an “update” by turning the Rum Tum Tugger song into a rap / hip-hop song. Well friends and neighbors I’m very sorry to have to tell you that the rumors are true. ALW is going to ruin one of the most wonderful musicals the theater has ever seen.

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2014/07/rum-tum-tugger-will-rap-in-the-west-end-revival-of-cats/374015/

To make matters worse here are the lyrics to this new “gangster / thug” version of the Tugger song BUT BE WARNED, THEY ARE OFFENSIVE!!!

WARNING

WARNING

WARNING

WARNING

WARNING

The New Tugger Song
Yo. This is Rum Tum Tugpac, if ya hear me then holler
I've got Cristal in my water bowl and a Swarowski flea collar
I'm that cat out of Cats known for busting the gats
Jersey Boys? We Will Rock You? Mamma Mia? Bunch of twats
When I unleash my claws, I drop jaws, get applause
Dope lines written – you just a kitten, a rebel without paws
Macavity, Skimbleshanks, Grizabella, they're my goons
Who'll leave your face swelled up like Sir Andrew reflected in spoons
I be hitting the herbals and then spitting the verbals
Lay back, lick my own genitals, cough up pubic furballs
I'm that feline with firearms, try to spay me and I'll fire these
Show opens December 6th, B, so put it in your diaries.

Article Link:
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/shortcuts/2014/jul/08/cats-rap-andrew-lloyd-webber-rum-tum-tugger-hip-hop

With that I’d like to let you all know that my friends and I have started is a new Facebook group designed to give a voice to the fans of CATS who are opposed to new changes Andrew Lloyd Webber will be making to the upcoming production of CATS

You’ve just seen the first one, the second change – to date – is that he (ALW) has decided to cut the “Growltiger’s Last Stand” number completely out and after that who knows what fresh hell awaits us!

Our page is a place where you can express your feeling about the changes to come but please remember, NO SWEARING, NO BULLYING / OR TRASHING your fellow posters. If you cannot act like an adult then you WILL be kicked out of the group. If you return with a different name and continue to cause trouble you will be banned.

Please respect each other.

Preserve the Magic of CATS
https://www.facebook.com/groups/810857518938495/

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Steve Barton, CATS, PotO, ALW, Anything Goes
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: “Updates” To The Show Are NOT Good!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I've heard they'd turn it into a hiphop song but I thought about the MELODY. I thought ALW was not happy iwth what HE has done. Why did they change Elliot's text? Aaaaaaaaaa.... :crazy: :cry: :sick:

But... is this serious? I can't believe these lyrics are true...

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:43 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I truly hope they’re not but those links ARE real. Feel free to come and join us on our Facebook page so that we can all be united as one voice. That’s what we need one voice not a lot of scattered voices.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:08 am
Profile YIM WWW

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
If ALW wants to destroy CATS, I guess that is his prerogative. After all, the original musical is his work, but...

Just from the look of the "new" lyrics to RTT, I can imagine TSE is performing horizontal rotations in his place of eternal rest. The original lyrics come from the poetry of "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" by Eliot, and I hope Valerie Eliot has some say in the matter. In my humble opinion, a change of this magnitude creates a conundrum... Is the resulting change still CATS?

I know ALW is the musical composer, but the lyrics belong to TSE. The work we know as CATS comes from the rhythmic poetry of the character pieces that TSE wrote for his godchildren. Even the additional "songs" ("Memory", "Moments...", "Jellicle Songs", "Grizabella"...) came from snippets of TSE's other poems, or were paraphrased to sound like TSE's poems.

If ALW changes the songs as radically as RTT's number from rock to rap, then please call the new version CATS II, and sign his name to the "Book by..." title. That way, if or when he places this "new look" on the musical world, I can avoid it...

I do not have a Facebook account, and really would like to avoid having one. You are free to send this in under some collective , if you wish.

Rumblepurr
The "Old" Writer Cat.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

As always very well said Rumblepurr thank you. I can certainly keep you up dated if you like. Shall I post it here to this link or…what would be the best way to do this since it is CATS related?

Also, and off topic question. I haven’t been here in a very long while and I don’t see a “respond” option here. I’m responding to you by clicking “quote” and then erasing your quote. Am I missing something?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I know two persons from my life that went mad after having prostate cancer...

Apart from that, even ALW's name is included in the new text. Okay, it's offending his looks but he's always been rather relaxed with his apperance...

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Before someone else is going to believe what's written here.... calm down, those are NOT the new lyrics to the song. It should be obvious that that's a parody :roll: There are quite a few lyrics that were made up after ALW had announced that he wants to rewrite Tugger's song (which is one of his worst ideas ever) But the lyrics will stay the same, since they are written by T.S. Eliot and can't be changed... nobody is allowed to change TSE's original poems. ALW is going to change the music, NOT the lyrics!!!

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

That's what I originally thought. So it IS a parody. Thanks.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:04 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

oh my god, while i totally believe that Andrew Lloyd Webber is crazy, he is not *that* crazy :P

This is what Andrew Lloyd Webber said:
Quote:
“I’ve come to the conclusion that Rum Tum Tugger was possibly the first ever rap song. TS Eliot clearly anticipated rapping in his metres.”
So he's clearly using the original words.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

BUT, the fact of the matter is, is that they released that vial version on purpose to get people’s attention. They put their name on that and therefore they are responsible for it. And even though ALW isn’t going to change the words of the song, he is still responsible for that disgusting advertisement that went out and that, in my opinion, is NOT okay. That version is out there in the public now and you can’t un-ring a bell.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:24 am
Profile YIM WWW

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Tigress wrote:
I haven’t been here in a very long while and I don’t see a “respond” option here. I’m responding to you by clicking “quote” and then erasing your quote. Am I missing something?

I usually use a REPLY with a bold @example-name to answer a specific person, or I use the QUOTE feature, and remove everything from the post except the portion you wish to answer... Of course, there is the PM for private replies...

When this whole matter came up, I did realize that the alternate lyrics was a parody, but I felt that there is still a cautionary point of order. One can argue that anything put to a certain cadence can be considered RAP, but that is not the point on this side of the debate. Changing the song's original score makes me wonder -- Is this the "same song"? Is it "Rum Tum Tugger", or is it "Junkyard Rap"?

Changing the lyrics would require a ton of legal hassles, so thankfully, the posted parody lyrics could not replace the RTT lyrics we know. ALW might be able to change the music, but would it be accepted? Every time I hear RTT described as a character, I hear "Tom Jones", "Mick Jagger" and (of course) "Elvis Presley." These singers are 1950s-80s Rock & Roll. The original costume concept of RTT is that of a Rock Icon with the pompadour hairstyle and flashy 'costume'. Turn RTT into a RAP Artist? Does that change not modify his personality? What next? Bombalurina , Demeter and the "girls" become pole dancers? Maybe in "Chicago" CATS...?

CATS is a unique blend of theatrical elements. When one goes to see this show, they expect the dancing, the Cat costuming, and Junkyard-style set. For those who understand the origin of the lyrics, they would want to hear the poetry of TSE in the music as well as the cadence of the words. ALW originally created the songs from reading the poems and hearing a certain rhythm in the words. Change the music, and you change the emotional feel of the song. Rap did not even exist in the late 1930s when the poems were written for TSE's godchildren... TSE may not have heard Rock in his poetry, but hot Jazz could have been the meter for RTT.

Quite a few people did not like the sequel of "Phantom". Could ALW do the same to CATS if he were to sequel it?

Rumblepurr
The "Old" Writer Cat

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I don't think he'll change the words of Eliot's original poem. The words you posted above are an example of a rap and not the words that will be sung on stage.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]