The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Children's Musical? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Children's Musical?
There was a recent podcast on thecinemasnob.com where the concert version of Cats is reviewed. One of the comments is that Cats is mainly a children’s musical. This is news to me. I’m sure if you took a young child to see it they’d enjoy it, but was that really the main goal behind the show?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Post Re: Children's Musical?
Concert version? Ouch. CATS has Dance as one of its main elements, and it loses a great deal without it. However, I can understand the classification if the concentration is on the songs. TS Eliot wrote the poems for his godchildren, and used rhythmic cadences to give a certain personality to poetry of the title character(s). A certain level of maturity might allow children to understand some of the lyrics, but this factor might not be required.

When the full musical is placed on stage, the level of presentation should go up to a PG13 at least - or maybe PG15, depending upon the creative team. CATS can be mistakenly viewed as "Children's Theater" because the costume and makeup can approach the characteristics of a clown. However, even clowns can get bawdy when they play to an audience. During the Jellicle Ball, the antics leading up to the sleep pile can become risque to say the least. And the costuming is very close to "skin". Griddlebone and Growltiger can also approach adult comedy during their libretto. And Rum Tum Tugger...?

I do not believe CATS was ever meant to fully appeal to a child. Theatre in general needs to appeal to the adult as well (Think RTT here...). I have always viewed CATS as a magic act where we, the human audience, enter the world of the Jellicle Cat, and view things never imagined before. "What's a Jellicle Cat?" Munkustrap asks in the beginning of the show, and we learn the answer to that question through Old Deuteronomy at the end of the show. This concept is more adult than child... And then, there is Grizabella's 'Ride to the Heavyside Layer.' Care to explain that to a child?

Rumblepurr
The Writer Cat.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Rumblepurr wrote:
Concert version? Ouch.

What's wrong with calling it a concert version?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Apples2for10 wrote:
Rumblepurr wrote:
Concert version? Ouch.

What's wrong with calling it a concert version?

I answered that in the next sentence...
Rumblepurr wrote:
CATS has Dance as one of its main elements, and it loses a great deal without it.

Rumblepurr
The Old Writer Cat

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Apples2for10 wrote:
There was a recent podcast on thecinemasnob.com where the concert version of Cats is reviewed. One of the comments is that Cats is mainly a children’s musical. This is news to me. I’m sure if you took a young child to see it they’d enjoy it, but was that really the main goal behind the show?

What concert version? If you're referring to the film, it's not a concert version.

To answer your question: not really. Certainly the creative tea stated that it wasn't when the show premiered.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]