The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
CATS The Movie:AGAIN??? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post CATS The Movie:AGAIN???
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CA ... t-20131201
wouldn't they be better showing the '97 version?

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:20 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Post Re: CATS The Movie:AGAIN???
This venture all depends on at least one specific element: the Choreography. A lot of the presentation of CATS is reliant on the dancing, and I am not sure that a movie can maintain this element. Again, if you change the show, does it remain CATS?

Well, it is ALW's toy, and he has the license to a certain point, but will it be true to the original, create a passable alternative, or blow up on impact?

Rumblepurr
The Writer Cat.
/

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I think it's a terrible idea. The show only works in the theater, period.

As much as I love the show, I also think it's outdated. I don't think younger audiences today will understand it. Honestly, I'd be a little embarrassed by it.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CATS: The Movie would be risky. Les Miz transfers well to the screen with or without the the show songs. The musical movie was pretty good but had its weak points. RENT should have transferred well too, but it was a flop. That film was ok but Christopher Columbus is not one of my favorite directors. PotO did well because of foreign ticket sales but was disappointing in the US. PotO was a decent movie but they needed a Phantom who could sing (or at least dub him). Sweeney Todd was similar though Depp was a good (not great) Sweeney. Hairspray did well domestically with a fair showing in foreign markets...and it was a good film despite John Travolta's performance.

But CATS would be a hard sell. Not much of a story and no real hook to attract an audience. It works as a stage show but a film would require a very creative director. Into the Woods will be coming out and it will rely on a star cast with Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep. But CATS needs dance and that'll cut the acting field down quite a bit. CATS might require Baz Luhrmann or someone like him to conceive it. A possibility is Johnny Depp as Tugger as it would be a challenge for him and a draw for the audience. I just hope they don't use Susan Boyle as Griz. Although, given her performance in Les Miz, I'd be fine with Anne Hathaway. She'd make a good cat. :mrgreen:

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:12 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Classic ('80s) Nickelodeon
Main Role: Producer
Well I was about to stop by and post this link (see below) but yall know about it and it’s nice to see the overwhelming support! **note sarcasm**

Look I understand how you all feel, I feel the same way about the CW’s remake of my beloved 70’s version Tomorrow People. This is NOT the show I grew up with when I watched it on Nickelodeon in the 1980’s but it has drawn attention to all three of the previous incarnations of the show and for that I am very grateful. Their update, as many problems as I have with it, means that our show has not gone unnoticed. It’s a show like, CATS and Doctor Who, has been kept alive by the fandoms ~ WE are the ones to thank for all of these shows coming back b/c WE are the ones who have kept the “Memory” alive!!! (for all of these shows.)

>>>A possibility is Johnny Depp as Tugger as it would be a challenge for him and a draw for the audience. I just hope they don't use Susan Boyle as Griz. Although, given her performance in Les Miz, I'd be fine with Anne Hathaway. She'd make a good cat. :mrgreen:<<<

As much as I love Johnny Depp and think he’s such a talented actor you have to realize that he is 50 years old; Hollywood will undoubtedly get someone much younger. Sorry to burst your bubble but I’m with you about Susan Boyle, JUST SAY NO! And yes Anne Hathaway would make an adorable Etcetera or Rumpleteazer. ~ In my opinion.

And you have to believe that Cameron and Andrew aren’t going to let them make a bad version of this. Personally I’m excited to the show updated and with the new advances in move making magic who knows how incredible this could be!

http://www.slashfilm.com/a-cats-movie-is-coming-according-to-andrew-lloyd-webber/

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]