Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
VTWC's Costume Projects - Upcoming Rentals/Personal Items 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post VTWC's Costume Projects - Upcoming Rentals/Personal Items
So I've finally decided to create a personal costume thread, updating on the various costume things I've been working on. Right now I'm in the process of refurbishing all the CATS costumes for the upcoming rental for the La Mirada Theatre Group, in So Cal, that will commence next April 2014. Will also post some personal items as well. This will also be my Makeup thread as I've not practiced my makeup for quite some time and would like to work on that a bit too. Also been experimenting with dyeing and painting unitards too so will post this as well. So basically a catch-all place to share my stuff.

This thread will be picture heavy so here goes!

My Costume/Craft Room:

Shot of my wig/makeup workspace:

Out of mess comes Creativity with a big C!

Playing around with makeup and costume, this time with Young Griz. I was checking how the rental wig fits and I really want to refurbish it, and trim it to style better. It was one of the last wigs made for the set and it shows. I was in a rush to finish and that is always painful when you can't get it perfectly right due to time constraints. *Sigh,* but I have a quite a while to work on it now. Been dealing with some health challenges that have kept me for costuming or doing any other artwork.

The wig is made by me, the warmers and tail also by me, and the unitard is an authentic Broadway Grizabella. Of all the unitards I own this authentic one fits me perfectly and like a glove, like it was made for me. Truly the best fit of all the ones I own. The unitard did not come with a name inside (funny) so I'll never know which Bway Griz it was. Boo!

Close up shot of the wig and makeup. My hand shakes too badly, one of the perks of getting older. Need to practice my makeups more.

Wolf-Like!

As Grizabella, Bway. All the costume parts are authentic from Bway.

That's it for now.

Purrs,
VTWC

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Cats
Post Re: VTWC's Costume Projects - Upcoming Rentals/Personal Item
You look great!! I have get my costumes going. :D :D

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I'm kind of obsessed with this. What are your wigs made out of?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Hey CaptWazoo, here's my next post about my wig, and wigmaking!

So for my wigs I was told by a professional who works in the industry to have synthetic wigs for renting, due to the fact that they can be cleaned and will hold up to abuse much better than fan-made crepe wool wigs. The first wigs I made was for a trial run of crepe wool, which I had about 3 of them for use at the Golden Apple Dinner Theatre's production of CATS back in 2005. They did not hold up well after 2 months of constant performances. They basically had to be scrapped and thrown away after the production was over. All that hard work down the drain. Was pretty upset over that. We tried washing them but they just went to pieces. The rest of the wigs were synthetic regular ladies wigs that were converted over to "CATS" style ones by their in-house wigmaker/stylist. He wasn't a regular wigmaker, just a hairdresser they had hired. My friend thought that mine were better looking but convinced me to move over to using synthetics which I did right after the show.

So I partnered with a local wigmaker here in San Diego to purchase all my wigs. Basically matched up the base colors with the character I was wanted to work on, and then used Floral dyes/spray paints to do the base colors. The Floral spay is just the right consistency to make a good base color to work with, instead of regular spray paint which is heavy and chalky to use. So you just spray and brush out the wig as you go. Pretty easy. Using hand-dyed hairs would be too expensive and you'd have to build the wig from scratch using a foundation, and I didn't have the time for that. Most of the theatre companies you see doing CATS are using those HORRIBLE crappy Ebay bought CATS style wigs from Lacey. Basically they are buying them up in white and spray painting them with cans you can get from Home Depot or an airbrush. Especially the high schools as they have no budget and huge deadlines to work with factoring in about only a few months to get their shows cast and costumed.

Right now I'm working on refurbishing the whole costume set and one of my projects here is my Victoria rental wig. She's been through the ringer performance-wise and is showing her age. Of course, she's all pinned up and stuff so there. I wanted to replace the tied-in wig yarns I was using before when I had no time with hand ventilated synthetic hair.

Below you can see the ventilated wig flaps for the ears. I hand tied all the hairs in one by one. The right side is done now and I'm working on the left. I have a foundation in waiting to tie in with real yak hair but it's slow going and very very expensive. I think I spent over 150 dollars just for some of the real yak hair bundles and I think I got about 8 oz. De Meo brothers is the only wigmaker out of New York who sells the correct stuff, and he only gets it in white and black and brown. You would have to dye the white to match the correct colors and it gets painfully hard with all the expenses. That's why CATS wigs cost over 5-10000 dollars. Ugh! I can dream though!

Victoria's finished side. Because the wig ends so abruptly I will have to add in some hot glue gunned hairs to cover up the bare spots. After the 2 flaps are done then I will sew in the lace frontal covering to match it up.

Hand tied knots. Tedious, I know!

Vici in disarray...

The side I'm working on at the present. All those bare spots will eventually be filled in with hot glue and hair. Lace will front it when the bare spots are filled in. The black line will be eventually washed out when the final hairs are in place.

That's it for now! More to come!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:37 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Wait, when you say synthetic hair, do you mean kanekalon? I'm curious how you get it so fluffy like that.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Yup that's it. The Kanekalon. Its cheap and available.

Purrs,
VTWC

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:26 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

THE QUEST FOR THE PERFECT VICTORIA WARMERS

Just started a new Victoria warmer set. First armwarmer here:

Made with Mohairs and Fun Fur for texture. It's knitted loosely due to the fact that with use the mohair yarns will "felt up" and fill in the gaps the more it's used and worn. Heat and sweat will thicken the yarns automatically. Also a lot of the Bway warmers were knitted very loosely with large needles and I like that look. However, I wanted my own different look too. Those warmers were knitted on a machine but I don't own one, so oh well...

Purrs,
VTWC

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:32 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Cats
I love all of the work you have done. :D I wish I can knit like you. One of these day I will. I'm using a Knifty Knitter.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:04 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

New Misto warmers along with tail. Made of soft mohair yarns. This is a replacement set for the rental.

Purrs,
VTWC

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:55 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Are there any such wigs for men?

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:19 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

A makeup design for Cassandra done in 2012:

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

For Mickey's Halloween Party from last year 2012 I dressed up as Jennyanydots as the Gumbie Cat in full Tap Regalia. Here is the results. Went with Black Cat Suzy. Couldn't stay very long this time but got a few pics and had great fun. Was fighting off an illness at the time so it was kinda hard to walk around in that very heavy costumes, and believe me, it's HEAVY! Got lots of compliments on it though!

With Cruella DeVil

Black Cat Suzy's character

Those were the highlights for Halloween 2012!

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next