The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What if a (REAL) Cats movie was made? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: What if a (REAL) Cats movie was made?
they could do a rather interesting CGI film using actors movements to overlap with the cgi characters.. you could also get some great stars to voice the roles like Jeremy Irons as Gus, Sting as Rum Tum Tugger , or John Cullum as Dueteronomy.

Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I'd like to see prosthetics and complex makeup instead. Something along the lines of the faun in Pan's Labyrinth. They could do something really gritty looking.

Fri May 17, 2013 10:08 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Quote:
I would LOVE to see a professional live recording of the show. A concert version would be great too.

I've been waiting for this for over 32 years now. Dreams....

Purrs,
VTWC

Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think that it was only Disney TSE forbade in his will...nothing about other animated versions.

Matter of fact, back in 1991 (and if this was mentioned before, my bad), Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment was to have made an animated version. You can see some of the concept art here: https://one1more2time3.wordpress.com/tag/cats/ and some more here: http://ushuaiasblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Cats.

One draft was to have put it in a more modern-day London. Another was to have set it during the Blitz, not a bad idea. They were also planning to combine 3-D models with 2-D animation, a very striking idea. (Not unlike the film version of Raymond Briggs' When The Wind Blows, only a LOT less nightmare fuel involved.)

It's a shame that the project was canceled when Amblin Entertainment went bust. I rather think an animated film might be the way to go for a Cats movie, especially if the visuals were as striking as some of this concept art.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Caristo wrote:
Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
There was actually an animated film be talked about a while back (if I find the webpage, I'll post it). I think that would work better than a live action film. How do you imagine it being any different from the '98 version though? I often wonder how Cats would do if it were brought back on Broadway. Some people feel that it's outdated and would never work with today's audiences.

Well, the 98 film was pretty much exactly the musical, but I think that it legally has to be called a movie because it wasn't performed live. I personally feel Les Miserables and POTO are more outdated than Cats, they both take place a long time ago, while Cats could definitely take place more recently. All of the songs from POTO and Les Mis also all sound exactly the same to me, where as Cats has a wider variety of musical genres. With the animated Cats idea, I'm imagining The Aristocats dancing and singing like Jellicle cats, I like that idea, and the idea of actors wearing make-up and such. Imagining actual cats dancing and singing like a musical feline version of "Air Buddies" would be..... interesting

What a hilariously misguided view of what the concept of "dated"/"outdated" means. Les Miserables and POTO are both exactly as dated now as they were when they came out - they're period pieces, set in the distant past of when they were written. Well, to be fair, some of the synth in POTO hasn't exactly aged well, and I dislike the show in general, but that doesn't change the overall point, which is that you have no clue what you're talking about. Moderator edit.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2