The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What if a (REAL) Cats movie was made? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Cats
Main Role: Performer
Post What if a (REAL) Cats movie was made?
Alot of people at my school say that they hate Cats, yet they have never seen it, But when I asked them if they like Phantom of The Opera or Les Miserables they always say "OMFG YES, IT'S MY FAVORITE, ANNE HATHAWAY! GERARD BUTLER! YES OMFG!" POTO and Les Mis are very popular here, because they are movies, so I was wondering, what if Cats was made into a movie (not like the 1998 movie, like a motion picture or whatever) Just imagine! it would soar in popularity! but I'm not so sure if it would work, a movie would probably be pretty awkward/boring with just one set, I think that there would have to be different places then just the "Jellicle Junkyard" and then there's the problem with casting, who would you cast? do you think it would be a good idea to make Cats into an actual movie like Phantom of The Opera or Les Miserables??? I think I would like it if it got my friends talking about it, and maybe if it was nominated for an Oscar or two.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Post Re: What if a (REAL) Cats movie was made?
There was actually an animated film be talked about a while back (if I find the webpage, I'll post it). I think that would work better than a live action film. How do you imagine it being any different from the '98 version though? I often wonder how Cats would do if it were brought back on Broadway. Some people feel that it's outdated and would never work with today's audiences.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
There was actually an animated film be talked about a while back (if I find the webpage, I'll post it). I think that would work better than a live action film. How do you imagine it being any different from the '98 version though? I often wonder how Cats would do if it were brought back on Broadway. Some people feel that it's outdated and would never work with today's audiences.

Well, the 98 film was pretty much exactly the musical, but I think that it legally has to be called a movie because it wasn't performed live. I personally feel Les Miserables and POTO are more outdated than Cats, they both take place a long time ago, while Cats could definitely take place more recently. All of the songs from POTO and Les Mis also all sound exactly the same to me, where as Cats has a wider variety of musical genres. With the animated Cats idea, I'm imagining The Aristocats dancing and singing like Jellicle cats, I like that idea, and the idea of actors wearing make-up and such. Imagining actual cats dancing and singing like a musical feline version of "Air Buddies" would be..... interesting

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:44 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, outdated in terms of the costumes and the synthesizer-heavy music. I'm not sure if putting the Jellicles in a real life setting would translate well. I think of the cats presented in the show as abstract; in real life, they'd just look like cats. But then some people feel that they're human/cat hybrids. Either way, it would seem bizarre to have them in our world. Though it'd be kind of neat to have it filmed in London on an authentic looking junk yard. Furthermore, I think Phantom and Les Miserables are a bit more relevant today. Phantom's still on Broadway, and Les Miserables has a HUGE fan base and following. We're a fairly large fan base as well, but Cats feels like a thing of the past; the hype died down years ago. The timing doesn't feel right. Maybe if it were to open again on Broadway and become popular once more..

But, personally, I'd like to see a live performance on DVD, like they did with Sweeney Todd!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
Well, outdated in terms of the costumes and the synthesizer-heavy music. I'm not sure if putting the Jellicles in a real life setting would translate well. I think of the cats presented in the show as abstract; in real life, they'd just look like cats. But then some people feel that they're human/cat hybrids. Either way, it would seem bizarre to have them in our world. Though it'd be kind of neat to have it filmed in London on an authentic looking junk yard. Furthermore, I think Phantom and Les Miserables are a bit more relevant today. Phantom's still on Broadway, and Les Miserables has a HUGE fan base and following. We're a fairly large fan base as well, but Cats feels like a thing of the past; the hype died down years ago. The timing doesn't feel right. Maybe if it were to open again on Broadway and become popular once more..

But, personally, I'd like to see a live performance on DVD, like they did with Sweeney Todd!

Well, wasn't it confirmed that Cats was retuning to West End? when most things go to West End, don't they usually end up on Broadway a couple of years later? They COULD also update the costumes, AND some of the instrumentation, like how they gave "The Rum Tum Tugger" an 80's makeover here, but they could make it modern.

or maybe something with more electric guitar like this.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Costume Designer
TS Elliot did not want his Cats to be pussy cats, that's why he did not let Disney have the rights to the show.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

No West End revival yet, but there is currently a new UK tour that's been on the road since February of this year. It's the exact same show as the last tour. I can't imagine ever dramatically changing the show. It's too iconic.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
There are a few groups of people making fan movies now for various other things. Mostly animations, but if anyone is interested at all, it might be worth looking into copyright details. I rather doubt RUG would allow it, since they wouldn't even allow a non-profit recording, but you never know for sure until you ask. I guess there's always the option of asking to borrow characters for one and telling the story without the songs themselves being included. Not quite the same though.

Wed May 01, 2013 4:05 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Well since I am not that happy with the current DVD version it would be great with either an version used fresh scenerys and updated special effects or an version shooted in front of an live audience would be far better than the current one that hasnt never really atracted me cause that the "stage shooting without audience" never ever brings the same magic feeling as watching Cats live and knowing that all thoose wonderfull characters are actuall actors dancing and singing in front of you.

Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
The idea behind shooting a "new" video or movie of CATS has been tossed around ever since the 1998 video came out, and everyone made blooper pages about it. The problem with doing this project is the sheer cost of renting a sound stage, building the set, creating the costumes and props, and placing all the lights, sound, etcetera.... Then, you have the cast to fill... oy! Who would you cast, their salary, yada-yada-yada... And then there is all the people whose names roll at the end of the film... We are talking big money here....

Because of the cost, you would have to have a large backing - a demand that just begs to be filled because RUG and Cameron Mackintosh would not want to do anything without an abundance of cash funding it.

An animated version of the show, or an action flick (animated or not), would knock down the cost "a little" Ever price artists and model builders? As mentioned before in this thread, TS Eliot nixed any portrayal of the cats as "pussycats" similar to Disney's Aristocats. I always found this excuse to be a bit hypocritical. The original poems of the Practical Cats were penned for TSE's godchildren. This may present the characters in a PG rating maybe, but they are hardly pussycats. However, the creator of the cats has specified this clause and so do not look for animated versions anytime soon.

To have the characters of CATS slip outside the performance? Sounds like my various fanfiction series. Put the cast in that TJC Junkyard and use my stories as the script would be similar to that style of picture. However, would that still be CATS? Also, if we stay true to CATS and incorporate the choreography, would it work if they were animated?

What about a "Concert Version?" Seeing that a video of CHESS was not available, I chose to get a Concert version of the show. Most of the choreography is removed and everything concentrates on the songs.... Orchestra, cast and crew and concert hall.... You get the taste of the show, but not the entire experience.

This is a great dream, but unless a lot more people call for it, that is what it will remain.
Good topic everyone.

Rumblepurr
The Writer Cat.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would LOVE to see a professional live recording of the show. A concert version would be great too.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Were they ever to do a film I think stop-motion would likely be the best medium to do it in. It gives you the freedom of animation I think something this abstract would need, but also has the more grounded look that physical puppets intrinsically have- which would help to negate the "pussycat" aspect to it.

Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next