The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Should I Give Cats a Try? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Post Re: Should I Give Cats a Try?
And I think the "they reflect society" argument falls down when Webber by his own admission states they deliberately weren't trying to say anything of that nature through the show.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
The way I interpret her Tony performance is that during the musical bridge, she finally loses her strength and gracefully kneels to the floor, ready for death. But at the climax she finds the strength from within to finally rise again and be glamorous, one last time (through that passionate, monstrous belt of hers). That final verse is her reminding the others who she once was. She has to prove to them that she is still the queen. She essentially comes full circle.
I think a lot of actresses forget that she is the Glamour Cat ....so where is the glamor? All I see most of the time is a sad, pathetic beggar woman (Elaine Paige!).

Well that's interesting (about the two moments concept). May I ask how you know that?

Last edited by Cptn. Wazoo on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Flynn wrote:
And I think the "they reflect society" argument falls down when Webber by his own admission states they deliberately weren't trying to say anything of that nature through the show.

When did he say that?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Looking back on it it's actually a Hal Prince quote, relating a conversation he had with Webber about the show...I think it's in that Broadway doc hosted by Julie Andrews...I'll see if I can dig up the exact quote.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
The way I interpret her Tony performance is that during the musical bridge, she finally loses her strength and gracefully kneels to the floor, ready for death. But at the climax she finds the strength from within to finally rise again and be glamorous, one last time (through that passionate, monstrous belt of hers). That final verse is her reminding the others who she once was. She has to prove to them that she is still the queen. She essentially comes full circle.
I think a lot of actresses forget that she is the Glamour Cat ....so where is the glamor? All I see most of the time is a sad, pathetic beggar woman (Elaine Paige!).

Well that's interesting (about the two moments concept). May I ask how you know that?

Nunn (I think) said about it in an interview, with casting.

I can't say I overly care for Paige's rendition of the role. The few I listed before are some of my favourites.

Flynn: That would be the one from when Webber played some songs for Prince before the show was even a show, and Prince said something like "So, there's Victoria, and she's their queen" etc., to which Webber responded "Hal, it's about cats."
I would also disregard everything Webber says anyway. He is not a consistent man, and changes his mind a lot. The most he's said about CATS is really "It's like Hot Gossip."

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

That's the gist of it. And while I'm all for disregarding the author's opinions of his work and projects (there's no way I'm gonna like the film Sweeney Todd no matter how much Sondheim does), I do think Webber's attitude towards the show and the quotes he's given about it are indicative of where the general focus on the musical lay...namely to be able to craft a world and atmosphere expressed entirely through song and dance. Is that a bad focus? Not necessarily, but it doesn't really make the show 'about' anything specific.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Fair enough, but I remember Gillian Lynne (the original choreographer) talking about how the Macavity dance in particular has a lot going on, in terms of backstory. Ultimately, it's about the diector's vision. The show can take some creative licensing. You're right, it is more focused on creating a world through song and dance, but I think that there is a place for that in the theater world. It's something that we so rarely see anymore, if at all. Unlike shows nowadays that just use spectacle to impress the audience, the entire concept of Cats is the spectacle.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2