The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Will there ever be a complete recording in English? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Will there ever be a complete recording in English?
I was listening to the Australian cast recording of CATS yesterday and I was reminded how slightly infuriating it is that there isn't an actual complete recording of the score in English. I think the Australian cast recording comes closest with the inclusion of "The Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles," but it still omits a few of the reprises, shortens "The Moments of Happiness," and condenses the dance music for "Gumbie Cat" and "Mr. Mistoffelees."

Will they ever record the entire score? Is there any chance that they might consider making a cast recording of the new UK tour and finally preserve the complete score?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Other...
Post Re: Will there ever be a complete recording in English?
i don't think they will release a new English recording in the next years.... most of ALW's musicals don't have that many recordings from the same country... which is a shame! (a new recording of the current German tour would have been awesome.... there are recordings from 1983 and 1986... both use outdated lyrics, arrangements, etc.)

i really hope there will be a new complete recording of the current version of the score... but i don't believe in that....

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I just wish they would release a CD of the Original London with the original vinyl version of the ball.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I made an enquiry about a forum recording little while ago and they told me they had enough English recordings released. :(

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 am
Profile YIM WWW

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
mantarnia wrote:
I just wish they would release a CD of the Original London with the original vinyl version of the ball.

Putting the two together and creating another CD? Rather doubtful that will happen. Nice dream tho. The consensus is that the most complete English recording is the Australian performance (1986). It has P&P, and the only time you the "Aussie" accent is in "Gus the Theatre Cat" and only by Gus. In this recording, they use the Aria in Growltiger.

If one can dream, I would like a "Performance-grade" DVD of a West End cast. My dream would have enough cameras posted around the stage (along with "star" cameras for closeups) so that the editing would always be in the same timeframe, and not the multiple takes of the current video. Unfortunately, the prime stumbling block on something like this is money - costumes, set, lighting, cast, film, etc.... Of course, once they finished shooting the new video, then they would have everything for a new run... 8)

Rumblepurr

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Rumblepurr wrote:
The consensus is that the most complete English recording is the Australian performance (1986).

1985, just to correct.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 am

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
@Mungojerrie_rt

Odd... On the CD, it DOES say (c)1985. On the back of the CD book, the EMI information says (c)1986. Apparently, the dates are two separate entities. My bad for not looking closer.

Rumblepurr

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My copy of the Australian Cast recording was pretty expensive for a CD, but I expect it's out of print by now. And it probably had to be imported too. It was worth it though. :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I dunno, I still love the original London recording this best. I think all of the original arrangements made sense (reprising "Grizabella the Glamour Cat" in full after the Jellicle Ball, the longer instrumental before Old Deuteronomy, THE ORIGINAL MUNGOJERRIE AND RUMPLETEAZER!) ......the whole thing flows beautifully, and I love the orchestrations. There's a real charm about it that I feel lacks in other recordings. Maybe it's the English accents?

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Peritombry wrote:
My copy of the Australian Cast recording was pretty expensive for a CD, but I expect it's out of print by now. And it probably had to be imported too. It was worth it though. :mrgreen:

It's actually easy to find these days, and not expensive. I think it was less than 10 years ago that it came into print on a CD.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well I guess Dress Circle overcharged then. :?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]