The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
1981 Original London Production 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Other...
Post 1981 Original London Production
I have a question to the original 1981 production and I hope that someone can help me.

On the CD of this production Elaine Paige sings only the first stanza of memory in the first act. And in the second act Sarah Brightman sings the first stanza ('Daylight, see the...") and the Elaine Paige sings the rest that starts with 'Midnight'. But on all other productions Grizabella sings a longer version than the 1981 one in act 1 and in act 2 she starts with 'Memory, turn your face...' and sings it as a duett.

My question is: Was this only at the CD or did Elaine also sing it like this in the actual show in 1981?

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:49 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: 1981 Original London Production
chrissi2810 wrote:
I have a question to the original 1981 production and I hope that someone can help me.

On the CD of this production Elaine Paige sings only the first stanza of memory in the first act. And in the second act Sarah Brightman sings the first stanza ('Daylight, see the...") and the Elaine Paige sings the rest that starts with 'Midnight'. But on all other productions Grizabella sings a longer version than the 1981 one in act 1 and in act 2 she starts with 'Memory, turn your face...' and sings it as a duett.

My question is: Was this only at the CD or did Elaine also sing it like this in the actual show in 1981?

I personaly think it is only the recording, because the version at the end of the first half actually sounds like it is the same recording edited.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:46 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm 99% sure that it was only on the recording. I obsessed over Cats for years, and I think that mantarnia is right, it is edited.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Okay, thanks. I also thought that but I wasn't sure.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

A lot of the OLC was cut for recording purposes. Remember, these were the days of vinyl, and a standard LP can only hold about 45 minutes per side. A cast recording would be two LPs, therefore four sides. CDs hold about 75 minutes per disc, so you can put a lot more on there than on vinyl.

The OBC also has extensive cuts for the same reason. I've noticed each successive 2CD version has fewer cuts--the Hamburg was nearly complete as was the French and Australian versions. Now I'm surprised they don't release the full cast albums through Itunes or something as digital downloads have a near unlimited capacity.

As for the 2nd Act version of Memory, I'm not sure...others will probably know more.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You could fit the entire, unedited show on CD. A CD holds 1hr 20min each. Since now, the full acts are 1:10 and 1:15, then it could easily fit.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: 1981 Original London Production
chrissi2810 wrote:

The version on the double album with the original London cast is how Memory was performed in the beginning in the show as well, according to RUG. Quite a bit into the run, still the OLC performing, they changed it into the version used in most productions today, to give Grizabella/Elaine Paige more to sing at the end of act 1, and then they gave Grizabella and Jemima one verse they would share and sing some of together to make it more clear to audiences that Jemima is the kitten Grizabella once was.

The version of Memory performed by Paige/Brightman towards the end of the OLC run:

Three verses of Memory in end of act 1 'Silence, has the moon..., Every street lamp... and Memory, all alone in the moonlight...'

(Elaine Paige sang 'Midnight' and not 'Silence' in the video, I'm not sure what she sang into her run as Griz in '81/'82 after they changed it)

Then as it is on the OLC-album Jemima sang the verse 'Moonlight, turn your face to the...' alone, before everyone, incl Grizabella who hides at the back, sings the same verse together, after Moments of Happiness and before Gus the theatre cat.

Then it was like this with Elaine Paige and Sarah B as well:

Jemima(Sarah B)
Daylight...

Grizabella (Elaine P)
Memory, turn your face
Memory, all alone in the...
Burnt out ends of...
Daylight, I must wait for the...

Jemima
Sunlight through the trees in summer
Endless masquerading

Both
Like a flower as the dawn is breaking

Grizabella
The memory is fading
Touch me, it's so easy to ...

At the same time as this, they moved the parts Demeter sings of Grizabella - the Glamour Cat (she haunted many a ...) just after the first part of the same song, that Grizabella sings herself (Remark the cat...)

Sammen finnes en vei
Finner du der,
hva lykkens mening egentlig er
Tar et nytt liv til for deg

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:33 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thanks Lars for clearing up all. I think Elaine sang 'Midnight' and not 'Silence' because Elaine always sings it with Midnight (also at the Royal Variety Performance from 1991) but I'm not sure. I like 'Midnight...' more than 'Silence...'.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

'Midnight' comes directly from 'Rhapsody on a Windy Night' which follows the basic theme of Midnight, One AM, Two AM etc.

It also contains 'Remark, the woman, who hesitates towards you...' as a reference to a street walker.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]