The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
From my sister's economics textbook... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post From my sister's economics textbook...
The opening scenario in my sis's college textbook, published 2008:

Quote:
A friend of ours writes that she is in one of the touring companies of the musical Cats. IN the company are to performers called "swings" who sit backstage during each performance. Each swing must learn five different lead roles in the show. During the performance, the swing sits next to a rack with five different costumes and makeup for each of the five roles. OUr friend, who has a lead in the show, once hurt her shoulder during a dance number. She signaled to someone offstage, and by the time she finished her number, the swing was dressed, in makeup, and out on stage for the next scene.

Our friend is paid $2500 per week for playing one of the cats in the show. She is expected to do a certain number of performance and a certain number of rehearsals per week. She gets paid for the job she does. The swing gets paid $3000 per week, whether she performs 20 shows that week or non. She is paid for knowing the five roles, whether she plays them or not.

Not a lot we don't already know, but fun to see it in print anyway. :)

P.s. Yeah, I'm alive, even though I disappeared for over a year. Still love you all! ;)

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post thats grate
thats wonderful

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Swings really deserve to get paid more because of everything they learn. They usually sing backstage and usually mark the dance backstage with a mic taped to them just in case they need to go on. I noticed this when we teched Drowsy Chaperone... It's pretty cool and if I was anyone, I would love to be a swing because they can play any of the parts that they know because you never know what will happen...

101 Superstar CATS
Starring Ted Neeley

This is a wonderful show that will bring in the families (101), the religious/Ted Neeley fans (Superstar) and PETA (CATS)

Coming soon to a theatre near you!

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
that is so cool Jemima - who is your sister playing.

and yeah i really admire the swings. It is certainly an experience I would like to have someday as a professional actress :) even though for now I am still in college.

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]