The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Bye Bye Birdie Forum Cast 2009 (Audition Thread) 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Bye Bye Birdie Forum Cast 2009 (Audition Thread)
Hi guys,

as some of you know, I've recently been in my high school's production of Bye Bye Birdie, and have decided to direct a forum cast in order to overcome my post-show depression :wink:
Thanks to Aimee for her permission :)

(I have never run a forum cast before, I'm learning as I go.)

(I took the rules mostly from the Evita Forum Cast from last November, so thanks mezzo_soprano!)

1. The auditions will go from May 18 (today) through June 1. You may vote starting June 2, until June 9 and the list will be posted soon after (actually, it may take like a week because I'm flying home on June 9 and I'll be in Washington, D.C. for two days and... yeah).

2. To audition, please include your username, the character/s you're auditioning for and a brief description of why you would like to play that character/these characters. You can audition for more than one character.

3. No cross-gender auditioning, please. Can you imagine a guy playing Kim or a girl playing Conrad? :lol:

4. When voting, you may not vote for yourself.

5. Please vote for ALL the characters.

6. Please vote for only one character per person.

7. You must vote in order to be cast.

8. The person with the most votes wins. Votes should be PM'd to me.

9. In the event of a tie, I will draw from a hat. However, if it's a tie, and one of the person in the tie has won another role, I will give that role to the other person in the tie.

10. If a person wins for multiple roles, I will select from a hat which role they will get, and then the second place finishers in the other roles will be cast.

11. You do not have to audition to vote. So I encourage everyone to vote!

12. The understudies will be the runner-ups for the roles.

13. Everyone who auditions can be a chorus member. After the cast list is posted, you can choose your part if you get cast in the chorus (adult or teen).

The following roles are available for audition:

Albert Peterson
Disney-Bway27

Rose Alvarez
Micaela?

Conrad Birdie
BroadwayBeast

Kim MacAfee
SmallTownIngenue
lilmissbroadway
music is my life!!!

Mr. Harry MacAfee

Mrs. Doris MacAfee

Mrs. Mae Peterson

Hugo Peabody
Disney-Bway27

Randolph MacAfee

Ursula Merkle
SmallTownIngenue
lilmissbroadway
Micaela?
music is my life!!!
emmy05

Gloria Rasputin
lilmissbroadway

Mayor

Harvey Johnson

Charles F. Maude

Have fun!

Last edited by Katie-chan on Tue May 19, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon May 18, 2009 3:48 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Awesome! Will definitely post my audition soon :)

Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer

Screen Name: Disney-Bway27
Roles I'm Auditioning For: Albert Peterson, Hugo Peabody
Why I Deserve These Roles: Very recently, I saw an excellent high school production of Bye Bye Birdie and it sparked my newfound love for the show. All throughout the show, there were two characters that I constantly thought that I could do a great job with--Albert Peterson and Hugo Peabody. Albert seems like he would be such a treat to play--his emotions switch from scene to scene as the tension and the comedy of errors increases. Altogether, he's not entirely sure of himself, and he has some of the craziest women in his life. Albert needs to be played by a strong, stage commanding actor, and, for this role, I'm pretty sure I've got that down. Hugo's a different story--while not as big a role of Albert, I seem to be more like Hugo in real life. Hugo buds with childhood innocence (well, whether or not that's innocence of ignorance is up for debate) and the few scenes he's in instantly commands the stage. Plus, if it helps, in the "Cast the User Above You" threads, I always seem to get Hugo. :lol:

Thanks ahead of time for voting!

Mon May 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Screen Name: SmallTownIngenue

Roles I'm Auditioning for: Kim MacAfee, Ursula Merkle

Why I deserve these roles:

Kim: I did this show my junior year of high school and I was up for this role, but it eventually went to a senior who didn't fit the part at all but got the role because of seniority. I ended up a nameless teen chorus member /dance captain. Anyway, I still really wish to play this role someday because I think I would do a great job with it. I'm young (18, but can play 15/16), blonde, soprano, girly, and I am quite excellent at acting like a slightly ditzy, star-crazed teenager. Plus, I kind of look awesome in 50s/60s clothing. :D

Ursula: I've always thought this role would be so much fun to play. If I couldn't play Kim, I would definitely want to be her. I am an excellent screamer, and I am great at being over-energetic and peppy since I am an energetic and peppy person. I've played a fair share of comedic, side-kick roles, in addition to my skills at playing an ingenue-type like Kim.

Mon May 18, 2009 6:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Roles I'm Auditioning For: Kim, Ursula and Gloria

Kim:Well, for one thing, I'm 15. I had my whole "oh gee! Look at me without my braces and gross stuff!" moment and can convey the whole ditzy, girly, flighty,boy crazy soprano thing well. The role is really in a great part of my singing range. I've got long medium brown hair that works well in a 50's ponytail. Plus, I've got the tiny frame to really showcase 50's fashion.

Ursula: Hate to say it, but they parallels between Ursula and me, especially when we talk on the phone are quite clear:Bubbly, high-pitched squealing, hyper, and crazy perky with loads of pep. I think Ursula's obsession with Conrad is about on the same degree as the girls with crazy infatuations with the Jonas Brothers today. I would absolutely love to just let it all go if I got a chance to play this role. Knowing me I would be the kind of person to scream, "Let's have an orgy!", even if I totally didn't know what it was like or how it worked so I could sound neat...

Gloria:A bit role, but with the tap, splits and Jersey accent (which is think is one of my best dialects), would be a blast. Playing the dumb blonde bombshell is always fun, it seems.

Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Screen Name: Micaela?
Roles I'm auditioning for: Rosie Alvarez, Ursula Merkle

Why?:
Rosie: I was Rosie in Bye Bye Birdie last year, so apparently it's a role that I can do well in. I'm Spanish, so look wise I'm good, and I have the right 'spice' for the role. Also, It's something that I had tons of fun with. Oh, and I'm a mezzo-soprano with an alto belt. I'm also a long-time trained dancer.

Ursula:
When I auditioned for Bye Bye Birdie last year, I originally auditioned for Ursula, because it had always seemed like a role that I could rock, and have a lot of fun with. I have excellent comedic timing, which helps, and I also have tons of energy that could be put towards any role.

Currently: Revamping my portfolio...SUNY Purchase Class of 2013!

Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
lol the rules for this forum cast are quite similar to the wicked one :lol:

Screenname - Music is my life!!!

Roles going for:
Ursula
Suzie (if you can audition for her)
Kim

Why i'd fit these roles: Although i've never seen the show, i really like the music in it, and my fave character is Suzie - not only cuz i'm a torchwood freak, but also because i can be hyper and uber-enthusiastic :lol: In drama coursework i tend to play the younger roles (a demented 10 yr old :roll: and Mary Warren in teh Crucible, twice 8) )
I'd fit all those roles both vocally (as a mezzo) and age-wise (i'm 16 8) ), and i'd love to see the show!

I'll try find a good piccy in a bit :)

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Role: Conrad Birdie

Why Do I Deserve This Role You Might Ask?

Well, Im very much so the look of a good Conrad. I also have a great Rock/Jazz sound to my voice. And Also a very comforting sound to it. Calming if you will. I have the attitude of Conrad. Very much a ladies man. My friends always tell me my 'theme verse' from a song is the following 'Once I was A Selfish fool who never understood, never looked inside myself, but on the outside I looked good"

Conrad birdie. Himself.

=]

Tue May 19, 2009 11:38 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Role I'd Love to Play: Ursula Merkle

"I love you Katie-chan, Oh yes I do.
I don't love anyone as much as you.
When you're not near me, I'm blue.
Oh Katie-chan, I love you."

I'll just keep on signing this all day and night until you cast me :)

This is my favorite role in the show! The very last show I auditioned for before I came over the administrative side was Birdie so it holds a dear place in my heart.

Tue May 19, 2009 12:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

music is my life!!!: When you audition and you don't get cast, you automatically end up in the chorus, so if you don't get Ursula or Kim, you will definitely get Suzie. (Unless someone else wants to be Suzie, then you'll have to fight for it :wink: ).

Tue May 19, 2009 5:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)

here's a nice piccy of Kerry Ellis and me after seeing an everning performance of Wicked in February 8) :P :D :D :D

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Wed May 20, 2009 7:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So... since we don't even have a MacAfee family or a Momma... just... never mind. :cry:

Cancelled.

Sat May 30, 2009 8:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]