The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Kim Stuff 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Kim Stuff
Okay, I just landed the role of Kim MacAfee! Any advice would be appreciated. :D

Also, I would like to know the following (answer as much or as little as you want):

*How does the changing onstage thing work during How Lovely to be a Woman? Is it like usually hidden behind something (headboard of her bed, dressing screen, etc.), or does Kim change right there in front of everyone?

*I have a few moments where I have to scream from Conrad Birdie being awesome (though not as much screaming as Ursula). How can I do this without hurting my voice? Is there a special technique that protects the vocal chords?

*I have to pretend to faint a couple times. How can I "faint" and fall into someone's arms realistically? Any tips?

*Some of Kim's dialog demonstrates stupidity/naivete'. Does this mean she could be played slightly ditsy, or should she be played as a typical ingenue?

*Any other advice, characterization suggestions, etc. would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Tue May 12, 2009 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hi and welcome to MDN! I was in Bye Bye Birdie, so I'll try to help you in any way I can. For "How Lovely..", our Kim did change onstage, but it was very G-rated. What she did was she started the song (and the subsequent phone conversation with Ursula) in an oversized sweatshirt and during the course of it, she slipped a tank-top under the sweatshirt and put it on (still under the sweatshirt and still while singing) and at the end of the song, she took the sweatshirt off to reveal 'Voila!': a new change of clothes!

The biggest piece of advice that I can give you is during the 'One Last Kiss' scene, as it builds and builds to Conrad kissing you, never stop smiling and remember, this is a dream come true for Kim! Conrad Birdie was the 1960's equivilent to Zac Efron or the Jonas Brothers, so get a picture in your mind of who your teen idol is and keep him in mind when you're doing your scenes with Conrad.

Like I said, good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions!

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue May 12, 2009 3:30 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you so much, Apples! This is probably a stupid question, but did your Kim actually kiss Conrad? Any tips on that? :oops:

The Miracle Worker
Sweeney Todd

Last Role:
Cinderella - Cinderella

Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Welcome and break a leg! I just was in Bye Bye Birdie two weeks ago, and I hope I can help you :) I hope you do better than our Kim :|

Charactress wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but did your Kim actually kiss Conrad? Any tips on that? :oops:

Kim never kisses Conrad, at the end of Act I, though, your face may be only inches away from his :wink: And there may be a few moments in the icehouse where they almost kiss, but I'm not sure... but I do know for a fact that the only kiss in the show is the Albert/Rosie one in the last scene.

Charactress wrote:
How does the changing onstage thing work during How Lovely to be a Woman? Is it like usually hidden behind something (headboard of her bed, dressing screen, etc.), or does Kim change right there in front of everyone?

Our Kim just put on a sweatshirt over her shirt, I think, and she put the jeans on under her skirt and when she was done she took the skirt off...

Charactress wrote:
I have a few moments where I have to scream from Conrad Birdie being awesome (though not as much screaming as Ursula). How can I do this without hurting my voice? Is there a special technique that protects the vocal chords?

You should probably ask your (musical) director about this. I have no idea. I know that our Ursula just said "Ah" instead of screaming the week before we went to State MPA (which was also the week before Hell Week).

Charactress wrote:
I have to pretend to faint a couple times. How can I "faint" and fall into someone's arms realistically? Any tips?

You should ask your director about this, too, but ours told us how to do it without hurting ourselves (let's see if I can remember, I was an adult and I didn't have to faint)... you fall in segments, from the head down, i. e. first your head becomes limp, then your upper body, then your knees, and then you fall... I don't know about this "falling into someone's arms" thing, though.

Charactress wrote:
Some of Kim's dialog demonstrates stupidity/naivete'. Does this mean she could be played slightly ditsy, or should she be played as a typical ingenue?

I... don't... know? Maybe someone who has played Kim could help you here. Or ask your director, lol.

Charactress wrote:
Any other advice, characterization suggestions, etc. would be great!

Wear something (shorts?) under your skirt, and become best friends with Hugo, Ursula, Conrad, and your family :wink:

Break a leg!
- Katie

Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The Miracle Worker
Sweeney Todd

Last Role:
Cinderella - Cinderella

Wed May 13, 2009 3:05 pm
Profile WWW