The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Should I give it a try? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Should I give it a try?
Hi there,

I was wondering if I should try out for Mrs. MacAffee, or not. I don't really want a part where I have to do much singing, I'm more of an actor. I was just going to put "any role", but after reading the script (the director let us borrow them over the weekend) and seeing the movie (the one from 1995 with Vanessa Williams and Jaso
n Alexander, and the first one with Janet Leigh and Dick van Dyke, from 1963... we'll do it more like the 1995 version, though), I came think I want a more "important" role than just one of the teenagers who have like two speaking lines. What about Mrs. MacAffee, I thought?
Does she really have any SOLO singing lines? I have a solo-line-singing-phobia :lol: Let's check the script...
Hymn For A Sunday Evenung (Ed Sullivan): She has lines with MR. MACAFFEE, with MR. MACAFFEE and KIM, with ALL MACAFFEES, with KIM and with ALL.
Kids: She has lines with MR. MACAFFEE.
Kids (Reprise): She sings with ALL and with MR. MACAFFEE.
So apperently, she doesn't. She doesn't do any dancing, except with the ensemble, maybe? That would make her the perfect role for me! :lol:

Well... I don't know. I have never been in a REAL production you had to audition for, you know.
Our director is going to do a "Cold Reading" from the play for acting auditions (we have three days for auditions; vocal, acting and dancing auditions)... and there he's going to make us read - and act out - some random parts from the script, right? Just any parts or the one/s we said we were interested in? Is there any way to prepare for this? Like I said, I have the script over the weekend, so it's not a REAL cold reading, I guess... just look at Mrs. MacAffee's lines and think about how I would act it out?
This is like THE opportunity for me to be in a real musical (I'm a German echange student and only here for this school year, and German schools don't do that stuff).
Let's see... I'm 15, but will be 16 by the end of March, 5 ft 2.5 tall, 112 lb, blonde, green eyes, alto (alto II, to be specific). I have done four plays with my youth theater group at our community theater, one of them being a musical (I had to do a RAP, so...), and I had a semester of Intro Drama at school so far. I've sung a semester in the sucky chorus of my German school (16 people, 11 of them being girls, and that guy didn't even bother to tell us who was singing the alto or soprano parts, it was all unison) and one in Golden Voices, our awesome high school chorus. I've been in a jazz dance group for a few years (weekly practice and a few performances per year). So much for my experiences...
Oh, and my English is practically fluent, okay, I do have an accent ("Sooo cute", they tell me... Confused ), but that shouldn't be a problem, just in case you were wondering about that.

Do you think I'd have a chance? Or would you recommend I audition for another part?

Thank you so much!
- Katie

Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oops... I was going to put that in the other thread, something like "How big is the role of Mrs. MacAffee?"

Sorry.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]