The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Orchestration charges 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Orchestration charges
We're going to be doing Bye Bye Birdie in the summer of next year. I thought that I had all the costs figured out, but then I find out from our Secretary that there is some type of strange fee system (strange to me) for the orchestration.

It has to do with renting instrumentation. You can rent individual scores for various instruments up to a point ... then you have to get the entire orchestration. The thing is ... you can't get the keyboard part unless you rent the entire orchestration.

We're an extremely small group (think rural and population 4,000) with an extremely tight budget.

We can get an accompanist, keyboard player, percussion and bass; but we have to pay them. Adding any other musicians is way out of our budget, so it makes no sense to have to rent additional instrumentation.

If anyone else has been in this situation, did you just go ahead and rent the entire orchestration, let your keyboard player use the accompanist score, or maybe have them play from a brass book?

Thanks -

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:57 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

My keyboard players usually play from the musical director's condensed score.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

How does that work? Does the director give them the "sound" that they want in the various songs and at what point. For instance, do they tell the keyboard player that they need a brass sound from measure 1 through 32 and then switch to strings?

Also, is there a difference between keyboard and synthesizer?

You can see that I have limited knowledge in this area so any help is appreciated.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]