The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
What part did you play 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: What part did you play
I played Kim last Summer, at my summer camp!

Fri May 25, 2012 7:57 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I played Mr. Mac! I had a lovely time! I got the part, not due to my singing skills, but due to my monologue reading. The director had us firstly sing a song from the show (odd I know, but middle school directors know numb-nuts), and then read a monologue. I stepped up to read, (in front of about 100 kids, 5 judges, and the director, co-director, choreographer, and some others) and, they offered me a mic. I refused. I screamed and hollered, and they just couldn't stop laughing. Needless to say, they offered the role to me on the spot.

Great time, great cast, except the girl playing my wife couldn't bother to remember her lines. Nor the guy playing Albert, nor the girl playing Rose. My Ed Sullivan song scene (the one with the mono), the director and I worked out a whole nother script for that scene, so I could still make it sound convincing if they drew a blank (we couldn't afford the manpower to have a prompter). I ended up using it for all three shows.

comped

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm going to be Mrs. Macafee. We are just starting our musical, so I'll have to let you know how it went later. [-o< :D

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Ursula Merkle :D

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm going to be play Mae Peterson! :D

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Mae peterson! All time favorite part :D Hating the actor who played my Sonnyboy didn't help though :lol:

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:01 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

This is one of my favorite musicals ever, but was SO disappointed in the role I got!

I did the show in high school (Junior Year) and everyone agreed I would be PERFECT for Hugo Peabody. I basically WAS Hugo Peabody in REAL life! Plus, I can't sing (Hugo doesn't sing) and I had played good roles prior to this, so I knew my director would consider me.

So auditions happen and my director had to take me aside and tell me that I indeed would have been a great Hugo, and she believes my acting skills were perfect for the part, but she didn't think I LOOKED the part because I was too tall and lanky! (wasn't Hugo SUPPOSED to be awkward??) and she didn't think I looked good with the girls she was considering for Kim! (double slap in the face! lol)
She said she would make sure I'd get one of the good smaller roles. She even let me read the script and pick from the smaller-but-decent roles...So I did and made the following choices:

1. Charles Maude the Bartender = Director said no because she decided Charles was going to sing with the waiters quartet and I couldn't sing! (grrrr!)

2. The Mayor = Director said no because she decided she wanted the Mayor to be played by somebody FAT because it would be funny that a town called "Sweet Apple" would have a fat mayor! (yes, she really said that!)

So LAST but not least, I noticed the 2 Reporters. I noticed that Reporter #1 had 2 scenes and a respectable chunk of lines, while Reporter #2 had 2 lines and was more of a photographer (Yes, I am a line snob! lol! I wanted lines!) So I asked for Reporter #1 and I got the part.

I had fun playing the Reporter #1. In the end I managed a total of 7 lines because I was given 2 lines to say as the reporter that were originally made for a random townsperson. I played the part like a slimy, gossipy reporter. I was also in the Shriner ballet which got ALL the laughs in the show and I wouldn't have been able to be in that fun scene had I been Hugo.

2 funny things: The guy who got Reporter #2 was a senior and a really good actor (but also couldn't sing, so he was not considered for a better role) and he was SO MAD that I had "All the lines" in the reporter scenes. He started demanding that we break up the reporter lines and divide them equally between us (that never happened...lol) and then I ended up with a close up photo in the town paper with a really cool caption about how "Reporter #1 tries to ruin Conrad Birdies reputation with career damaging questions" Hugo didn't make the paper at all. So it all worked out for my ego in the end! LOL

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7