The Resource For Musicals

Brigadoon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Is Brigadoon a good show? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Is Brigadoon a good show?
The score can only be described as 'pretty', but it's outshined by the story, which is brilliant.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:18 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Is Brigadoon a good show?
I think it's quite good, and has the potential to be even better when a director brings out the central idea behind it.

In Alan Jay Lerner's autobiography, he tells us a bit about putting the show together. I think it was Mary Martin he was discussing it with. He showed her the script and described the plot to her as the story of a village that only appears one day every hundred years.

Mary answered, "No, Alan, that's not the show you've written. What you've got here is the story of a romantic who's searching and a cynic who's given up. The romantic allows the cynic to talk him out of it, but realizes he can't live like that, and goes back to Brigadoon, where his worldview is proven right and the cynic's is proven wrong."

A good production, I believe, will bring out that underlying meaning--the conflict between two worldviews--beneath the fairy-tale-like story. I always like to imagine where Jeff will go from here after Tommy leaves, now that he's witnessed that real, true love can exist.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2