The Resource For Musicals

Brigadoon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
auditioning soon!! 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post auditioning soon!!
hey!! i'm auditioning for brigadoon soon at my high school and i'm unsure about what to go for/what to sing. any advice would be appreciated!!!

i'm a 15 year old mezzo. i have brown hair and brown eyes and i'm about 5'5". singing is my strength, i can dance but i'm not an AMAZING dancer.

any ideas what part i should go for? audition songs? any help would be amazing!!!

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

WOAH! my school is doing Brigadoon too! What a coincidence!

Current Productions:
Charlie in Brigadoon

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:23 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well you say you are a Mezzo and so am I. I was actually Meg Brockie in Brigadoon last year and for us, we auditioned with an actual peice from the musical (we had no choice in the matter). Meg does require belting ability since her personality is loud, out there, quite funny, and a bit slow on the uptake. If you can't belt a C (her last note in "Real love of my life") then I wouldn't go for this part. But, you could always work on it. I couldn't at first and then I just let go and I did it. If you want to audition for Meg a good song would be "Stepsisters Lament" from Cinderella because the song talks about not ever finding love and Cinderella being the girl of some guys' dreams and because it's pitterpatter (meaning alot of words and fast) and because it is uptempo. Both of Meg's songs are uptempo and pitterpatter.

Now there are LOTS of vendor parts that you could sing and there's also 2 solo lines in "Waitin' for my Dearie" sung by 2 different women. ( "What do you do while you're waitin' around for a lad to come your way?" and "But when lassies sit and have no men, oh how long becomes the night." ) You can't really "audition" for these, meaning you can't research a song to fit the personality of this solo chorus members, you just have to pick a song that can work for the show in general.

You wouldn't want to go for Fiona simply because some notes are quite high.

You could audition for Jean if you want. She's a dancing role but depending on your director and his or her needs, she can easily be turned into a singing role by taking a line or two in "Come to me, Bend to me." For Jean, she is sweet and innocent embarking on a marriage to someone she loves but also in a vicious little triangle since Harry loves her, and she doesn't love him.

Maggie is strictly dancing as well.

Always what was going to happen in my production, was I was going to be Mr.Lundi.. only it would be Ms.Lundi simply because I never showed my singing to anyone, only acting.. they also could do that.. so.. yeah... I know you said singing was your strength but I'm just letting you know all the possibly options you could have.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you choose to audition for and I wish you the best of luck. Brigadoon was a great show and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

thank you so much!!!! that helps a lot :D

we have a choice of singing something from the show or something else from the legitimate broadway stage, but the choir director said that he thinks it is better to sing something from the show, so i'm going to go with that. my choices are the love of my life and almost like being in love...i'm thinking i'll go with the love of my life.

thanks again!!

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:05 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Meg is the best role in the entire show. She pretty much makes it work and saves it from being nthing more than sentimental drivel. Don't get me wrong, I love the show. It's just it lacks character outside of Meg and Jeff. Pretty much everyone else is one-dimensional without a whole lot of character in them. Meg does need perfect comedic timing, and an actress with a lot of confidence and a strong personality to do her justice. You simply cannot be afraid of looking a like a fool for her, you really have to be out there and and just go for it.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

My daughter was in a production of Brigadoon a couple years ago with a youth theater. She was called back for the part of Meg, but she was really too young to pull it off, she was 12 and it went to a 16 year old who did a better job with it.

Dhe sang Honey Bun for the auditiion, and it was the song and the way she sang it that got her the callback.

So if you decide to go outside the show, that's a good choice.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:52 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

"Love of my Life" is an awesome song.
Meg is the best role in the entire show. She pretty much makes it work and saves it from being nthing more than sentimental drivel. Don't get me wrong, I love the show. It's just it lacks character outside of Meg and Jeff. Pretty much everyone else is one-dimensional without a whole lot of character in them. Meg does need perfect comedic timing, and an actress with a lot of confidence and a strong personality to do her justice. You simply cannot be afraid of looking a like a fool for her, you really have to be out there and and just go for it.

I agree. You can't be afraid to look a bit.. dumb. If I would go back and do it all over again.. I would have taken the desperate aspect of her out even farther and made her more of a flirt than I did. I made her a flirt but.... I wish I did WAY over the top. It was the best part I've ever had the honor of playing. Looooved it!

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:17 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

singing auditions were tonight and i think they went pretty well. dancing is tomorrow and callbacks on thursday if i get them.

i'm not really expecting a huge part since there are a lot of junior/senior girls and i'm a sophmore....but it was still really fun and they seemed to enjoy it :D

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:02 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just finished playing Meg in November. I wasn't too sure if I could do it to begin with, but i had a BLAST! And don't ever discount the age thing - we had 5 seniors so I didn't think I would get a part (I'm a junior) but I got one of the two female leads, so...

have fun with the show!

Currently: Madame Thenardier : Les Mis!
Past roles-
'Momma' Mae Peterson : Bye Bye Birdie
Sally : You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown [favorite show to act in]
Meg Brockie : Brigadoon [favorite role to play]

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

and is there any chance that we auditioned for the same show?

Current Productions:
Charlie in Brigadoon

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:47 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I just finished playing Meg in November. I wasn't too sure if I could do it to begin with, but i had a BLAST!

Yep...she was a GREAT Meg ( I was in the same production ) It was pretty sweet... s1ng4m3 did a pretty good job of being risque.

Linus Van Pelt - You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Andrew MacLaren - Brigadoon
James Cagney - Over Here!
Mayor Shinn - The Music Man Jr.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]