The Resource For Musicals

Brigadoon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Wedding 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post The Wedding
hi i have another question about Charlie. since my production is a jr high production and me (charlie) and bonnie jean are only in gr 7, what do you think will happen with the kiss? i know a lot of kisses can be cut from a lot of shows, but it's a wedding, here. making it a hug would be just plain stupid if you ask me, so if there is a way, how do you do a fake stage kiss? any help would be greatly appreciated!

luc :D

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:21 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

For our production, they hugged and didn't really kiss. But if you must kiss you can fake stage kiss (like kiss her upstage cheek instead of her lips or just kiss her on the lips). Hugs and kisses are good either way.

For the Harry Beaton party where he grabs her and kisses her... obviously that HAS to be a kiss. Rawr. Good stuff... good luck... have fun.

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:37 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The funny thing is, in our production, Harry Beaton doesn't kiss Jean. He just follows her throughout the dance and creeps her out. Then she goes to kiss Charlie and Harry get between them with a wee dagger pointed at Charlie.

There are quite a few ways to stage-kiss (it's kidna like its own branch of stage combat), but I've never seen any that really looked great.

Now is it the director that wants to cut the kiss, or the actors? It's been a few years since I was in grade 7, so I don't know if you are uncomfortable with it, but I think just a simple kiss is more effective than the best stage faked kiss. If you plan to go into serious acting, you have to get used to being in quite a few situations that will make you uncomfortable at first, so maybe just doign the kiss will benifit all the way around.
That said, if it must be cut, kissing her cheek is always an option, and you can do creative things with the wedding veil to make is less obvious that you're only kissing her cheek.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:45 pm
Profile WWW

first of all, it's the director that wants to cut it. but bonnie-jean isnt comfortable with it either.....course, i dont mind at all :wink: but the director said that they've never done a kiss before and she's not planning on starting now. and it seems like a very grade-seven-boy thing to say, but i'm fine with it. i've had to do it before and i dont mind doing it again. i know that if i get into professional productions and there's a kiss, i'll have to do it. dont get me wrong here, i'm all for this acting stuff, but if there's any way to do a fake kiss, i'm all ears (and tongue....OH NAUGHTY ME!!! :lol:) i did hear something about each actor puts their thumbs over their own lips and fake it like that, but i'm not sure that would look very realistic. the upstaged cheek could work, but i would like it to look as real as possible so that the audience can see it. and we'll be in the wedding positions, so it would look funny if the groom suddenly walked upstage to do the kiss. any more suggestions?

Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The groom wouldn't neccesarily have to walk upstage, you could lean in to kiss her and tilt your head upstage (she would have to tilt hers downstage at the same time) and kiss her cheek. It's like kissing someone and not really being able to find their lips.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:22 pm
Profile WWW

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:13 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I just noticed that all through your posts you keep referring to "bonnie Jean"- her name is Jean (occasionally called Jeanie), "Bonnie Jean" is just the name of the song. I'm really not trying to be mean here, I actually find it cute.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:00 am
Profile WWW

yeah, i figured that out a long time ago....well actually not a long time, but my last post. but ya that really confused me for a while, then i started working on GO HOME WITH... and i noticed that bonnie was just an adjective....my bad! :oops:

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:22 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I was guilty of the same mistke when I first started working on our productions. It's probably even worse as I was reading script while watching the performance and it still took me a while to figure out it was a way of describing her. I think Charlie needs to be more inventive in what he calls her, a new nickname or two wouldn't hurt.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well Bonnie's just one of those Scottish things to say about someone, or something. If you didn't know already, just thought I'd say. They say it lots in Scotland, I think it's an Irish thing too, 'cause my Grandpa used to say it all the time ANYWAYS getting off topic.
So, your earlier post Lucas! :o (about the kiss)
I'm shocked! lol Just kidding, I honestly think there should just be a kiss, It looks so stupid when you two just hug. I know I know you're only in grade 7, but you don't mind, and Megan will just have to deal with it. You're a cute guy she'll think about it later and trust me she'll love it.
:wink: :wink:
It's only a play after all, it's just an act.
Oh well the show must go on right?

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:28 pm

Well Bonnie's just one of those Scottish things to say about someone, or something. If you didn't know already, just thought I'd say. They say it lots in Scotland, I think it's an Irish thing too, 'cause my Grandpa used to say it all the time ANYWAYS getting off topic.
I'm shocked! lol Just kidding, I honestly think there should just be a kiss, It looks so stupid when you two just hug. I know I know you're only in grade 7, but you don't mind, and Megan will just have to deal with it. You're a cute guy she'll think about it later and trust me she'll love it.

Lucas :twisted: Anywho, it's Meagan we're talking about, but you're right about one thing: I'm a cute guy. :wink: lol Just kidding....wait a minute. No I'm not.... #-o
:lol:

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:06 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

byebyeradio wrote:

Lucas :twisted: Anywho, it's Meagan we're talking about, but you're right about one thing: I'm a cute guy. :wink: lol Just kidding....wait a minute. No I'm not.... #-o
:lol:

lol loser
what I can't call you Lucas? lol
yeah yeah Meagan seems really...hmm shall I say frigid? or whatever.
But she's a younin yet lol.
*sigh* it's just a play? common
But then again if you guys kissed
Me & steven would have to kiss.
8O 8O
He has a difficult time hold my hand...I think a kiss would kill him.

Currently:
Fiona-Brigadoon

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next