The Resource For Musicals

Dreamgirls Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Dreamgirls! 

OK, I moved this cos we need to keep it in the right place and more people visiting this forum. A 'shadow' remains in the main forum.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:11 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I really enjoyed it. I thought Eddie Murphy was great, as were all three Dreamgirls. I don't know Beyonce at all (took me awhile to figure out who was who), but I think all three of the women did a wonderful job at their roles. I couldn't pick among them for "best" but obviously Effie is the meatiest role.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:48 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I thought the movie was fabulous (already seen it twice!) the performances, as others have noted, were fantastic, and even though I was not already familiar with the story, I was absolutely enthralled. The thing that impressed me most about the movie, however, was how well the passage of time was conveyed. Without being obliqely political, we got a sense of what was happening in America throughout the twentyodd year span of the movie--and the way music changed in that time. From motown to disco, guys.

Also, the serious content (Eddie Murphy's character being the best example) of how Black music was forced to change itself to "cross over" at the risk of the performers losing their identities.

Finally, for all the anti-musical theater folks, I think this movie did a fabulous job using MUSIC to convey characterization. Without the songs, the audience's knowledge of the characters would be far less real and complete.--and judging from the reactions of the crowd both times I went, the message got across. We had people bursting into applause after every song, and at the end. It was the best kind of movie experience...almost like being in a theater.

This is by far the best of the modern movie musicals, and I think, come award time, people will recognize it as such.

Now: The Demon with a Changeable Face--Ama and the White Crane
Soon: Featured Ensemble--HSM2, Babes in Hollywood: The Music of Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

How's Lithgow's song?

I posted this on the other dreamgirls thread for you but there i sno Lithgow song in th emovie and his cameo is not that exciting like 10 lines anyone could have done. But of course he does well

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:07 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I was completely amazed with DreamGirls! Words cannot describe how amazing and incredible it was! I was totally blown away! Jennifer Hudson has the most amazing voice I have ever heard. After her big song, the whole theater bursted out in cheer and clapped for her. And Beyonce shined just as much. She has a voice of angels. Eddie Murphy was fabulous too! I had know idea he could sing like that. The whole cast was amazing. Now this was a perfect way of presenting a Broadway musical to the big screen.

Right now I am totally obsessing over the music too! I have listened to the CD like 9 times in one day!

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:39 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

The movie's coming out tomorrow over here, and I can't wait!!! The music definitely is amazing (I know, I have a weird obsession with soundtracks of musicals I haven't seen yet at the moment :P !).... I loooove "Listen". And all the other songs, LOL. :D

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I know this is a bit late, but here's my opinion of the movie. (yea, I know I'll get hit for my opinion, whatever)

Jennifer Hudson: Thought her acting was a bit weak in the first half of the movie, but the second half she stepped it up a notch, much much better. Her "And I'm Telling You" was not that great for me, I think the reason is because it was so hyped by everyone, things never live up to the hype.

Beyonce: She was eh, someone mentioned it earlier but obviously the weakest out of all the Dreams. It was a bit odd for me for Beyonce to constantly be clowned upon by everyone for not being a great singer etc because of her star status. She never stopped being Beyonce in my eyes.

Anika Noni Rose: awesome... that's it lol

Jamie Foxx: I expected more from him, but his performance was fine.

Eddie Murphy: Pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect much from him, but he rocked it out.

Keith Robinson: Would definetly like to see more out of him... he was decent though I see much more potential.

Overall the movie was decent... But The Five Heartbeats is better.

I find it so ironic that quote is in that book.

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
When I heard "And I Am Telling You (I'm Not Going)", I kept thinking "This song isn't going anywhere, but Hudson is rocking the ---- out of it and MAKING it go somewhere". And that's what my workshop teacher keeps saying. When the lyrics don't move the arc of a song, you MAKE them move it.

I don't know that I agree that the lyric of "And I Am Telling You (I'm Not Going)" doesn't 'move the arc of the song'. I think the song, in context, creates a very powerful arc for Effie. The lyric very definitely shifts the song through a series of beats, as Effie tries tactic after tactic to salvage something, anything and eventually sinks into her delustional submission. And that is all complicated by the fact that she has just found out that she is pregnant! There is an immense amount of material with which an actor can work in this number.

shadowdancer wrote:
Anika Noni Rose... should be nominated for best supporting. I absolutely loved her. She had me cracking up and what pipes she has. It was obviously the least showy or well-defined of the dreams but she was great. Unfortunately her character is kinda in the background.... As awesome as she was, I think because how the character is in the movie, pushed in the background, she won't get as much press or career boost out if this. It is a shame. I mean her voice rocked.

OneSongGlory wrote:
Good to see I'm not the only person who really appreciated Anika's voice. It seems like everyone I see who's not theatrically-inclined didn't even notice her.... she's got the power, but we only really got to see it in "It's All Over" - which, by the way, was probably my favorite to watch/listen to.

She is great in that section of the film; you really see that Lorelle has found her own voice and that she isn't merely a shadow of Deena and Effie. Another awesome moment is when she sings her farewell to Jimmy in "Lorrelle loves Jimmy" - it's electrifying. And I love how she really shapes the journey of her character through the film. It's a super performance.

Later days
David

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3