The Resource For Musicals

Dreamgirls Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Dreamgirls! 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Dreamgirls!
Well Dreamgirls just opened today (er.. yesterday, technically), so I imagine SOME of you must have gone to see it. What did you all think?

I personally was blown away... by everyone. I came into this movie expecting a lot - first of all, I LOVE Anika Noni Rose.. ever since I saw her as Rusty in Footloose, I've been a fan, so I was very very happy to see her play Lorrell, and thought she did an awesome job. Jennifer Hudson has also been a favorite of mine ever since I saw her in American Idol (though I honestly didn't pay the show much attention after the first season or two), but wasn't quite sure she had the voice to play Effie and blow me (or anyone) away, but I was proved wrong... by FAR my favorite voice in he show, that bitch can belt. And the third Dreamette, Deena. Now let me say, I love Beyonce - I think she has such a gorgeous voice, and is definately some nice eye candy, but able to play a Dream? Eh.. I was rocky at first, and then I heard a review on here saying that her acting was definately not up to par. Long story short, I wasn't expecting much of anything from her, but again I was proved wrong! Deena is supposed to have such a different voice from Effie and yes, to a point, 'characterless', or however Curtis puts it, but I think she really gave Deena life and had the perfect voice for it - sweet and almost pop-py when it was called for, but off of the stage, it was so much more real and rough, and really rounded out the three Dreams perfectly. And the acting was definately not bad - it wasn't phenomenal, but I'd at least give her a good.

Now onto the boys. I really didn't expect much from any of them. Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy.. both awesome actors, so I thought they'd be good acting-wise, and decent vocally. But again.. wrong. Eddie Murphy was awesome, had a great, fun, exciting voice for Jimmy, and while Foxx' voice seemed sort of whiney at certain points in his songs, I really enjoyed him. And Keith Robinson.. pshh, blew me away. I LOVED his voice, it was sooo rich and smooth, I couldn't get enough of it.

If anyone were to really take home an award for this show, I'd like for it to be Hudson, definately. Not only was she the best singer in this show, I thought she realllllly showed off her acting skills as well. However, what is she nominated for? Best Supporting Actress. I honestly don't get it, Effie is a bigger role than Deena, and Beyonce's been nominated for Best Actress, so could someone please explain this to me? Other than Hudson, I'd love to see Murphy win Best Supporting Actor. Everyone keeps saying Foxx will win everything, and I'd like to see him nominated for Best Actor, but when it comes down to it, there were probably better lead actors in other movies throughout the year.

Now, onto things that bugged me (pretty much you can stop reading here if you want ;-))

It really, really bugged me that everytime I'd see a commercial or some advertisement for this film, it would say starring (and in this order): Jamie Foxx, Beyonce, Eddie Murphy, Jennifer Hudson, Keith Robinson, Danny Glover, Anika Noni Rose. This bugged me for several reasons. First of all, it usually only lists two 'starring actors', so it's always (so I've seen) been Foxx and Beyonce. I don't think this is fair at all. First of all, I see Effie as being a more important and just overall bigger character than Deena, and then there's the question of whether she or Curtis are the bigger role, because Curtis is indubitably a bigger character than Jimmy or CC. So, I suppose "Starring: Jennifer Hudson and Jamie Foxx" would be good enough, but then since Beyonce's such a big popstar, of course you've got to have her name in the starring line as well. But then if you're going to have two of the Dreams, why not the third? She's not a huge, integral part to the script, but she is there most of the time and a principal character, n'est pas? But if you're going to have her, you definately need to put Murphy in as well.. so why not just include the sixth principal (IMO, at least) role, CC as well? But then Danny Glover is more known than Keith Robinson, so... Hm. I'd like to see who's on the front cover of the box whenever this movie comes out.

The second big thing.. the theatre. Okay, PLEASE tell me it's just a tonight only (one night only! haha) thing, because this theatre was ---- OBNOXIOUS. I haven't been to a movie theater for at least a few months, but there was honestly not a minute during the entire two and a half hours I was sitting in my seat where some ghetto hoochie didn't get her weaved ass up and scream into her cell phone or listen to some ringtones or scream about coke when Jimmy takes his little stash out or laugh when they sing. AHH. That absolutely drove me crazy. I mean.. COME ON KIDS. You're going to see a musical. Do you know what they do in musicals? THEY SING. I mean sure, Dreamgirls is a lot like... like Camp or High School Musical, for example, where many of the songs are sung AS songs, not to elaborate the story.. like, the characters are on a stage or just sitting down, and singing a song to an audience. BUT, there are also many songs in the show where they'll start singing to each other or singing as a reflection, and people seem to think that this is HILARIOUS. I don't know, maybe Connecticut's just more ghetto than people give it credit for.

ANYWAYS.

What did you all think? :-)

Last edited by OneSongGlory on Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I haven't seen it yet but i'm definitely going to try and go with my friend to see it tomorrow. I'm quite excited, especially since you seemed to like it so much.

I totally know what you mean about people being obnoxious in movie theaters though. Every single time i go to the theater there is always someone talking on their cell phone or some ghetto teenagers talking hella loudly and it always really pisses me off. Our main movie theatre is in a pretty ghetto area though

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think I will be checking it out soon.
I really must catch up on movies.

My opinions are right. Duh.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:29 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm going this week to see it (was supposed to last night but plans fell through :cry: ). I think I'm actually more nervous about the "obnoxious audience" than not enjoying the movie. After the experiences I had at both Rent and The Producers and the fact that when I went to see another movie someone loudly booed after the Dreamgirls preview, I'm almost expecting some sort of disruption.

[color=indigo]Currently: Henrietta in "All Shook Up"[/color]
[color=blue]Previously: Madge Fuller in "George Washington Slept Here
Sister Robert Anne in "Nunsense"[/color]

Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:01 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Dreamgirls!
OneSongGlory wrote:
I was sitting in my seat where some ghetto hoochie didn't get her weaved ass up and scream into her cell phone or listen to some ringtones or scream about coke when Jimmy takes his little stash out

Wow, if that's not stereotyping, I don't know what is![/quote]

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:34 pm

We have a Dreamgirls forum on the boards now as well 8)

I hate people that talk during films. It's half the reason why I'd rather wait for the DVD. I once said to somebody in the cinema "If I wanted a commentary, I'd wait for the DVD to come out and listen to the director!"

Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:18 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: Dreamgirls!
sleepy7653 wrote:
OneSongGlory wrote:
I was sitting in my seat where some ghetto hoochie didn't get her weaved ass up and scream into her cell phone or listen to some ringtones or scream about coke when Jimmy takes his little stash out

Wow, if that's not stereotyping, I don't know what is!
[/quote]

I don't see how that's stereotyping. Every single person who was being obnoxious in the audience was a ghetto hoochie (and/or whatever you'd call a male hoochie), and most did have a weave going on.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Loved the movie. Murphy will win for supporting, hasnt been a stronger canidate this year, and i see like 3 movies a week at the movie theatre. Hudson's vocals were great. The movie was just overall really really good.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Loved it loved it loved it. I especially loved "And I am telling you....". I wasn't familiar with the music besides what was in CAMP, so when I heard that song, i kept thinking "This song isn't going anywhere, but Hudson is rocking the shit out of it and MAKING it go somewhere". And that's what my workshop teacher keeps saying. When the lyrics don't move the arc of a song, you MAKE them move it. I was super impressed with Hudson, she did it in every single song in addition to rocking vocally.

http://tinyurl.com/23ctc3n

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm going this week to see it (was supposed to last night but plans fell through :cry: ). I think I'm actually more nervous about the "obnoxious audience" than not enjoying the movie. After the experiences I had at both Rent and The Producers and the fact that when I went to see another movie someone loudly booed after the Dreamgirls preview, I'm almost expecting some sort of disruption.

I feel like that everytime I think about going to the cinema now! I swear its getting worse - not as bad as what you've described, but some girl answered her phone right in the middle of a film I went to see the other week and started having a loud and animated conversation that went on for ages before an usher dragged her out. I don't know what it costs to go to the flicks in the US, but here in the UK it isn't that cheap - and its more expensive in London (like everything else :roll: ). Why pay nearly £10 (about $15) to sit and talk, when you can do it outside for free? Ugh :x
Anyway - back to the thread! Neither the film or the musical are out here yet. I'm looking forward to both!

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

DramaRobin2002 wrote:

I feel like that everytime I think about going to the cinema now! I swear its getting worse - not as bad as what you've described, but some girl answered her phone right in the middle of a film I went to see the other week and started having a loud and animated conversation that went on for ages before an usher dragged her out. I don't know what it costs to go to the flicks in the US, but here in the UK it isn't that cheap - and its more expensive in London (like everything else :roll: ). Why pay nearly £10 (about $15) to sit and talk, when you can do it outside for free? Ugh :x
Anyway - back to the thread! Neither the film or the musical are out here yet. I'm looking forward to both!

It's an average of about $9 in the US and I completely agree. Why pay so much to go see a movie in a movie theater when all you are going to do is talk, check you cellphones (that is my pet peeve- looking at the screen and seeing out of the corner of my eye all these little lit up cell phone screens across the audience) and generally ruin the moviegoing experience for everyone else who also paid $9 to be there? I'm thinking about going to a day viewing or a really, really late viewing of Dreamgirls to make my chances of a quiet audience better. Although, it was at a really late viewing of Rent where I almost got my butt kicked because of a comment the group behind me made about Idina Menzel.

[color=indigo]Currently: Henrietta in "All Shook Up"[/color]
[color=blue]Previously: Madge Fuller in "George Washington Slept Here
Sister Robert Anne in "Nunsense"[/color]

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:22 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

katethegreat wrote:
DramaRobin2002 wrote:

It's an average of about $9 in the US and I completely agree. Why pay so much to go see a movie in a movie theater when all you are going to do is talk, check you cellphones (that is my pet peeve- looking at the screen and seeing out of the corner of my eye all these little lit up cell phone screens across the audience) and generally ruin the moviegoing experience for everyone else who also paid $9 to be there? I'm thinking about going to a day viewing or a really, really late viewing of Dreamgirls to make my chances of a quiet audience better. Although, it was at a really late viewing of Rent where I almost got my butt kicked because of a comment the group behind me made about Idina Menzel.

And there you have it. The reason I only see movies on DVD anymore, unless I'm up north at our trailer in a small town theatre. (They are still running Pirates of the Carribean anyway...the first one.)

But I love the music I've heard so far of the Dreamgirls cast - I think it does the stageplay justice, at least musically.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next