I heard Jennifer Hudson is awesome.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Why do we only have a forum here about it because the movie is coming out next week?

Does anyone feel like its going to be the next "hit" musical (like RENT) Because, personally, I feel a lot of other shows would be more successful movies. *shrugs* At least I can feel cool for seeing Dreamgirls (a very bad outdoor theatre production) before most people had even heard of the movie.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:24 pm

The owner added it for you guys, nice lady that she is. 8)

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Why do we only have a forum here about it because the movie is coming out next week?

Does anyone feel like its going to be the next "hit" musical (like RENT) Because, personally, I feel a lot of other shows would be more successful movies. *shrugs* At least I can feel cool for seeing Dreamgirls (a very bad outdoor theatre production) before most people had even heard of the movie.

Like what shows? I can think of a ton of musicals that might be popular amongst theatre people only but flop at the box office like Rent did because it doesn't transcend that well to non theatre people.

Dreamgirls actually isn't that awful of a musical and the storyline might actually interest people other then the musical theatre crowd, if the cast alone won't draw people to it.

Why should it make you feel cool because you saw it before it was a movie? That's silly. Why does it matter what someone saw first as long as they at least acknowledge the original source (like some of the new Rent fans only know the movie and know nothing about the broadway show).

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have a feeling everyone is going to be like "OMG Dreamgirls!" and singing all the music everywhere, at least at my school. It was like that with Rent. I got to feel smug for knowing the music before they did.

Thats the word I was looking for. Smug. I'm an obnoxious, self-obsessed middle schooler who is known as the school theatre geek. I like feeling smug about knowing a thing or two about musicals since it so rarely happens that anyone cares at my school.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

i don't care what anyone says..... I LOVE DREAMGIRLS...... and I'm extra excited.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
I have a feeling everyone is going to be like "OMG Dreamgirls!" and singing all the music everywhere, at least at my school. It was like that with Rent. I got to feel smug for knowing the music before they did.

Thats the word I was looking for. Smug. I'm an obnoxious, self-obsessed middle schooler who is known as the school theatre geek. I like feeling smug about knowing a thing or two about musicals since it so rarely happens that anyone cares at my school.

Since Beyonce is it in, you're probably right about people jumping on the Dreamgirls band wagon and not even knowing anything about the actual stage musical.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:04 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I found out that Beyonce is pissed off because Jennifer Hudson is better than her. I downloaded "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", Jennifer Hudson's song and it is excellent. I cannot wait to see this film. A big group of my theatre and choir friends are going. YEAH!

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post I Can't Wait
I bought the soundtrack and it sounds great! I can't wait for it to come out. It supposed to be even better than Chicago. Now all they need is to do Wicked.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:59 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I found out that Beyonce is pissed off because Jennifer Hudson is better than her. I downloaded "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", Jennifer Hudson's song and it is excellent. I cannot wait to see this film. A big group of my theatre and choir friends are going. YEAH!

lol; who's your source? People magazine?! :lol:

I think that's just a bunch of hoopla; what the ef does she care about Jennifer Hudson? She's Beyonce for Pete's sake- I highly doubt she feels threatened, however wonderful Jennifer is in the film.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:22 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: I Can't Wait
DramaRob wrote:
Now all they need is to do Wicked.

Or not. Wicked would lose a lot of what makes it popular (excuse the pun) in the transition from stage to screen (a.k.a. the almighty SPECTACLE). It be much better to stay where it is. As for Dreamgirls, I am excited to see it. Like Chicago before the movie came out, I know of it and I know a few songs from it but that's about it. A few friends and I are planning on seeing it Christmas Day.

[color=indigo]Currently: Henrietta in "All Shook Up"[/color]
[color=blue]Previously: Madge Fuller in "George Washington Slept Here
Sister Robert Anne in "Nunsense"[/color]

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next