The Resource For Musicals

Mary Poppins Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
London/Broadway Differences? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

It seems the Mary Poppins preview I saw in the UK is practically a different show!

They didn;t use gigantic, flying umbrellas back in the previews, I can assure you!

Wed May 30, 2007 11:41 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Disney / Adaptation
nickhutson wrote:
It's more Disney having more power over the production now.

Do you really think Disney has less control in London than in the States? A company like Disney controls exactly what it wants its audiences to see wherever in the world the production might take place. It's more likely that the changes from London to Broadway have to do with what Disney and Mackintosh believed could work better in the show. Mackintosh, in particular, is infamous for revising shows from his production house - Les Miserables and Miss Saigon, for example, both have been tweaked over the years.

sherwills wrote:
The Little Mermaid is definitely Disneyfied... c'mon Hans Christian Anderson originally wrote a different ending...

Everyone has their own version of a story. I write a lot of children's musicals and I make each story my own by the time I am done with it. It's because everyone, including companies and corporates, has their own ideological worldview. Disney included. And either, one buys into that ideology or one rejects it.

I have no problems with the Disney adaptation of The Little Mermaid - it's a lovely film, truly whimsical but with a dark edge that is realised in Ursula and everything that surrounds her. Yes, it's different to the Anderson version, but so what? It's an adaptation - it's meant to be different - and the choices made to tell the story don't hurt the film. I have more problems with something like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, where the adaptations to the narrative truly aren't fully thought through and detract from the film's overall impact.

Later days
David

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I don't get why the Broadway statues are bronze. The togas on the guys is nice, as the fig leaves don't really look like fig leaves - just wobbly blobs, and when they're moving they look more like what they're supposed to be covering. But yeah, the fact that the statues are marble is in the lyrics and dialogue, so why change them into metal?

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:41 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Eactly as you say - the whole cast get in a huge umbrella...and stand there. Don't ask me why - but it happens in Heaven, so - anything can happen if you let it...

That part is amazing in MP :)

Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2