The Resource For Musicals

Mary Poppins Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The "Janes" of Broadway 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I have been to some shows where they have had more than 2 childern cast for the same part... Billy Elliot (3 kids for most or the main child characters) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (there were about 3 boys and girls for that too).

The reason that MP needs more children than, say, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, is because there needs to be an understudy in the theatre. In Chitty the understudies for Jeremy and Jemima are in the childrens ensemble, but in MP there are no children other than Jane and Michael, so one pair is always on call backstage. Three pairs wouldn't be enough.

As for the ages of the children, it's not age that counts, it's height. Jane must be below 4'10'' and Michael below 4'6''. Apart from that, so long as they look like children their age isn't important.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:28 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post yea
because Chitty Chitty Bang Bang had children in it, and with children they have understudies, and with no children they have alternates.......yea guys its not that difficult!!!

Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:44 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^you do realize you just repeat what the person above you said almost directly and made it sound like the question was comparing MP to CCBB which it was not? Just making sure

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:03 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

^you do realize you just posted on a topic that ended in june, and you are talking to 2 ppl who haven't returned since then? Just making sure

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Understudys
if four kids are cast, it means there are 2 main and 2 understudies. In england you can only do max 5 shows a week.

How do understudies work when there 3 kids? Just complecates stuff.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Post Re: Understudys
ziggyc wrote:
if four kids are cast, it means there are 2 main and 2 understudies. In england you can only do max 5 shows a week.

How do understudies work when there 3 kids? Just complecates stuff.

Woah! Major bump!

And you can do more shows in England. I've been in shows where we've performed up to 6 shows a week, two of which were matinee days. I've performed up to three matinee days at one point. (When I wsa about 12).

I think each council / show differs. Some councils are more leniant (sp?) than others.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Well they're having auditions for new Janes May 16th. I was planning on going, but I'm too tall.

Past Shows:
Godspell- Ensemble
12 Angry Jurors(Men)- Juror # 11
Beauty and The Beast: Belle (yay!)
Alice and Wonderland: Lily
High School Musical: Thespian (with a dance solo!)

Mon May 04, 2009 2:03 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I'm from the UK, and it does seem strange to me. I've known three children cast in the same part, but never four (untill this).

Fri May 08, 2009 6:50 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I'm from the UK, and it does seem strange to me. I've known three children cast in the same part, but never four (untill this).

There were actually five Janes and five Michaels throughout the entire run of MP in London. There had to be, as there were 8 performances each week, but that meant that there were 8 occasions per week were an understudy was required. Even though that simply meant two children had to be sat backstage in case they were needed, that is still classed as work for the children. Five pairs were needed to cover for the performances, the standbys and any possible absenteeism due to illness.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2