The Resource For Musicals

Mary Poppins Forum

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Mary Poppins - London 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Can't Wait for this this to come to BW. I got the London recording and it is great. :D

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:38 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:30 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: Mary Poppins - London
Gobsmacker wrote:
The cast, overall, is terrific: Scarlett Strallen is superb as MP, and Gavin ### is outstanding as Bert. They alone, are worth the lofty price of admission. The Jolly Holiday and Supercalifragilstiexpalisous scenes are very colorful and enegetic. The 'Step in Time' seemed a little static on stage however. I really enjoyed the macabre scene, TEMPER, TEMPER! where Mary casts a spell on the toys in the nursery--but this scene may be too scary for young children. Also, the 'Feed The Birds' sequence is especially poignant.

Scarlett Strallen is CRAP! She is a terrible Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins was a great show and then she came along and ruined the show.
Gavin ### is very good as Bert though.
The new Winifred Banks is RUBBISH too! Not even a tiny bit as good as Linzi Hately.
The new cast really isn't nearly as good as the original cast. The original cast was SPECTACULAR!

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:36 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

The original cast was SPECTACULAR!

HERE HERE! Laura Michelle Kelly was the best Mary Poppins yet

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 am
I personally think Scarlett Strallen is amazing, she is a great actress with a beautiful voice and not as wooden and fake as LMK. LMK has a beautiful voice, no discussion about that but her acting was rather weak every time I saw the show with her!
I remember that Michael Banks asks Mary Poppins to be cross again when she gives him the present and says something to him nearly at the end of the show - LMK was hardly cross in the show at any time! From facial impressions all you would get is a cheap smile and that's about it, at other times she would not even move a muscle in her pretty face but just move her eyes, just looking good is not enough.
Scarlett Strallen gives Mary Poppins so much life - her Mary Poppins is stern and strict and kind and caring at the same time portraying a much more complex nanny. And she is a lovely sincere young woman offstage with a big heart - LMK seemed too 'professional' each time I saw her.
The new cast is not too bad, certainly not as amazing as the original cast, but they have improved so much since November. I couldn't stand Aden and Eliza the first time and these days both impress me each time I see the show - the only one really annoying me is the current Robertson Ay, his understudies are far more talented.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:52 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Mary Poppins - London
London_Mungojerrie wrote:
Scarlett Strallen is CRAP! She is a terrible Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins was a great show and then she came along and ruined the show.
Gavin ### is very good as Bert though.
The new Winifred Banks is RUBBISH too! Not even a tiny bit as good as Linzi Hately.
The new cast really isn't nearly as good as the original cast. The original cast was SPECTACULAR!

Just to point out, someone can have an opinion other than your own and it can still have merit. Just because you preferred the original cast doesnt mean that the new cast is "crap" just because you liked the originals more.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Jonah Lees will take over the part of Michael Banks this winter while his twin brother Christian will play tall boy in Billy Elliot the Musical.

http://www.billyelliotfans.com/forum1/v ... 3084#13084

Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I caught a showing (and I mean caught, I went in 2 hours before the show and snagged some balcony seats) back in June and absolutely loved it. Came back to the states with merchandice coming out of places I didn't know I had. But I really enjoyed that. Personally I was just shocked and overjoyed by the stage set up. Thats one thing I was really able to enjoy was the set because we were up so high, you could really see how it came out smoothly and how everything was so neatly choreographed andd....ahh it was just lovely. Personally I do prefer LMK, but I think ending up about 2 yards vertically from her as she flew over my head was just cool enough for me. I loved her version of Practically Perfect and then Chimchimerrie with whatshisname. I came out singing! Overall, just a wonderful show, and honestly, I don't think Bway will be able to top it, if only because we can't fake British accents like the British. XD #-o

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:49 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

We saw it in London when it first came out...it is darker than the Disney version as it more closely follows the book, but it is SO good! We're hoping to see it in NYC when we visit next year!

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I saw MP this summer And unfortunately was slightly dissapointed!

I loved the idea of the show and was great to see well known characters from one of my favourite movies as a kid on stage! I suppose i set my expectations a bit to high as i had just finished a show where i had played Mary P!

Overall the show was really good and the set was excellent! the woman playing Mary though really irritated me! I felt she was too busy trying to get through the show than enjoy the moment!

The show is alot darker than the film aswell! which was fine by me as obviously it couldn't stay disney cheese forever but that bit when the toys come to life scared the bejingus out of me! i was with my theatre group and ended up having to swap seats with someone cause a few of the the kids were really scared!

loved the stunts though - the flying by MP and the walking on the ceiling by Bert was pure genius!

The Artful Dodger
Mary Poppins
Mme T (Les Mis)
Cat in the Hat(Seussical
Current
Dan (Joseph)(but singing benjamin calypso)

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:24 pm

walking on the ceiling by Bert was pure genius!

How did they do that?

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Scottish_freak wrote:
walking on the ceiling by Bert was pure genius!

How did they do that?

Well they've given away a bit of a highlight there, but Bert goes from being stood normal on stage, no wires etc, and walks up the wall, then along the ceiling and tap dances on the ceiling. It's ridiculously impressive, and Ive no idea how they do it!

Magic I guess ;)

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next