The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Tarzan - is it any good? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Tarzan - is it any good?
So... I was just looking at the musicals that are playing in Germany right now (http://www.stage-entertainment.de/music ... icals.html), we have this one company that buys the rights for the shows they consider "worthy" and then produces them / has them produced in various locations all over the country, and some are touring, too.
Anyways, I think I already saw all the good ones (Wicked, Lion King, Tanz der Vampire, Blue Man Group), and I don't really want to see any of those jukebox musicals they are playing at the moment (don't get me wrong, there are some good jukebox musicals, like Footloose, which I saw on Thursday, but these...), so the only one that's left would be Tarzan... I heard that it's not really that good, though. What do you think, is it worth driving to Hamburg and buying expensive tickets to see that show?

Katie.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:45 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
It got slammed pretty bad over here. Apparantly Phil Collins music shouldn't be sung as musical numbers...

Here's a broadway promo if your curious...the set IS pretty cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjazxR84vHI

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:54 am

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

:D :D :D Thanks, I guess I'll just have to wait another year or two :cry:

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:34 am
Profile ICQ YIM

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Is TARZAN any good?
Katie-chan wrote:
Thanks, I guess I'll just have to wait another year or two.

Well, half that time is over - but I would like to say that Tarzan may not be all good, but it is not all bad either. It certainly has more going for it than Luc is willing to admit. If you're still interested in finding out more about it, there are plenty of threads here on the Tarzan board[/url] that deal with various aspects of the show - including more specific posts about what is good and what is bad and so on.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Tarzan - is it any good?
No one who is only referring to the Broadway version of the show can really comment, cos while it had only a short and unsuccessful run in New York, when they took it to the Netherlands and subsequently Germany they changed the show completely. The music is largely the same but staging and set changed dramatically.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:00 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Is TARZAN any good?
jqpopcorn wrote:
No one who is only referring to the Broadway version of the show can really comment, cos while it had only a short and unsuccessful run in New York, when they took it to the Netherlands and subsequently Germany they changed the show completely. The music is largely the same but staging and set changed dramatically.

It did, but changing the set and staging only changes the packaging of the show, not the content. While I defended Tarzan above, I think it is important to see it for what it is and realise that it is neither perfect nor a complete failure: although a different staging of the material might make the show more theatrically effective, it does not make the show itself any better.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]