The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Does anyone know.... 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Does anyone know....
... Why Tuk's name was changed to Terk in the musical?
... Why Jane has no songs of her own at all on the Disney movie?

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
1. I don't know if it's different for you, since you're in the Netherlands, but in the English translation of Tarzan, Terk has always been the name.
2. Well, to be fair, in the movie, the only song that's performed by the characters is "Trashin' the Camp." Everything else is used as a montage song which was, in my opinion, a ridiculously stupid move on Disney's part. So having Jane sing in the movie would be completely different from Tarzan's numerous opportunities to sing; he could easily sing "Two Worlds" and "Strangers Like Me" like he does in the musical.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post TARZAN: Terk / The Film Score
Disney-Bway27 wrote:
1. I don't know if it's different for you, since you're in the Netherlands, but in the English translation of Tarzan, Terk has always been the name.

Although, of course, Terk in the film was shortened from Terkina. Now that was a ridiculous excerise in odd storytelling choices if ever I saw one.

Disney-Bway27 wrote:
Well, to be fair, in the movie, the only song that's performed by the characters is "Trashin' the Camp." Everything else is used as a montage song which was, in my opinion, a ridiculously stupid move on Disney's part. So having Jane sing in the movie would be completely different from Tarzan's numerous opportunities to sing; he could easily sing "Two Worlds" and "Strangers Like Me" like he does in the musical.

Don't forget that "You'll Be In My Heart" was sung by Kala (Glenn Close) in the film too. That worked at least; as a musical number, "Trashin' the Camp" is a failure in both the film and the stage show.

I don't agree with you about rest of the score though. The choice to use the other songs as background music for montage pieces works incredibly well for this film, which doesn't really need singing characters in the way that the Disney musicals that preceded it did. I don't think the same effect - or even one comparatively as good - would have been achieved by having Tarzan sing "Two Worlds" or "Strangers Like Me" in the film. Furthermore, it doesn't feel like there is something missing from this film without character sung songs and it also allowed the film to move away from a formula that had impacted adversely on films such as Mulan and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I think it was a good move for Tarzan, although later it would prove to be a poor choice in the way that Treasure Planet was scored.

Later days
David

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]