The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Tarzan Opening Scene 

I would never consider "Tarzan" to be something good that came out of Disney, regardless of when it did. The whole thing was weak, generic, and forgettable. "Mulan" is the only quality material to come out after the renaissance of the late 80's/early 90's...and even that doesn't compare.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:43 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I would never consider "Tarzan" to be something good that came out of Disney, regardless of when it did. The whole thing was weak, generic, and forgettable. "Mulan" is the only quality material to come out after the renaissance of the late 80's/early 90's...and even that doesn't compare.

I beg to disagree... I think Hunchback was the best Disney movie from the 90s... with Hercules in a close 2nd.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Fan
I forgot about Hercules....that was another one that I liked...

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, Tarzan, and Mulan and definately The Hunchback of NOtre Dame were the last great Disney movies until Emperors New Groove, Lilo and Stitch, and now Meet the Robinsons.

And, have you seen the animation on Tarzan? It's brilliant. The color is also fantastic, and the voice work (I mean, Jane was unforgettable!). I really enjoy the movie. It also won an Academy Award and has an 88 percent freshness rating.

It's not as good as The Lion King or Aladdin, but it's still a good movie in my opinion.

"Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our finger through the flame?...why, do we refuse to hang a light when the streets are dangerous? Why does it take an accident before the truth gets through to us? Actions speak louder than words.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I really want Disney Theatrics to do well, I want them to produce great Broadway. They simply aren't, and haven't. Let's remember, people only go and see The Lion King for the costume and set. I've never heard anyone **LOVE** the music or dialogue like they **LOVE** other shows.

Well, that's true. But, aside from being visually incredible, I think the most exciting part of The Lion King is that everyone remembers seeing it for the first time (in cinemas in 95 or whichever year it came out) and it was like reliving the magic all over again. And, the Circle of Life is easily the most incredible thing I have EVER seen performed on stage. I love quite a few of the songs in The Lion King.

Although I didn't like how the actors said some of the lines, because I'm used to the delivery the movie gives.

"Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our finger through the flame?...why, do we refuse to hang a light when the streets are dangerous? Why does it take an accident before the truth gets through to us? Actions speak louder than words.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 am
Profile WWW

The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, Tarzan, and Mulan and definately The Hunchback of NOtre Dame were the last great Disney movies until Emperors New Groove, Lilo and Stitch, and now Meet the Robinsons.

And, have you seen the animation on Tarzan? It's brilliant. The color is also fantastic, and the voice work (I mean, Jane was unforgettable!). I really enjoy the movie. It also won an Academy Award and has an 88 percent freshness rating.

It's not as good as The Lion King or Aladdin, but it's still a good movie in my opinion.

Why not Pocahauntas?

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I like Pocahontas. But, it's not considered one of the greats. It has a 55 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. But visually it's beautiful. And, I like the music.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'd really like an Aladdin full blown out musical, and I'd be curious to know what they could do with Mulan.

The only thing I really liked about Tarzan was Jenn Gambatese as Jane. That's pretty much it. I really liked the movie as a child but I never really liked the idea of a stage show.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I want Sleeping Beauty to become a Bway musical... it was and is my fav Disney movie.

I would love to compose the music for a Sleeping Beauty story... heck, I'd like to do the whole musical (lyrics and music and story).

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:08 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post The Adaptation of TARZAN
Matt Rools You wrote:
Tarzan wasn't a great film to begin with. They started with poor source material and fudged it up.

Lepitot wrote:
I adore the Tarzan animated movie. I think it's one of the finer animated films to come from Disney.

While the film version of Tarzan is perhaps not great, it's not awful either. It has a lot going for it: some strong characterisations, some good voice work, some amazing animation and some fine storytelling. That is not to say it isn't without its flaws, but it certainly isn't riddled with, for example, a number of creative compromises, pacing problems and a mediocre, derivative score in the way that, say, Mulan is. The stage show, in terms of its book certainly makes some improvements - getting rid of Tantor and switching the gender of Terk, for example - but also makes its own fair share of mistakes - like the change of Clayton from an Englishman into a Southern redneck. Both end up being pieces of mixed accomplishment.

Brock07 wrote:
Of all the films they could have picked, they picked... Tarzan. Probably not the best choice in the world.

There certainly are more obvious choices, but does that guarantee a better end product? It certainly isn't as if any of the Disney Theatricals productions are perfect anyway; each has its own distinct shortcomings.

Later days
David

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Living in Eastern VA, I can say that the landscape (especially the waterfall) as depicted in Pocahontas is about as inaccurate as it could get. If you want to see a waterfall near Jamestown, go to the Cascades Restaurant in Williamsburg and look for the 2 foot one behind it. Otherwise you have to go to Richmond for anything higher.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:38 pm

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
I'm still wanting for Hunchback to come to Broadway.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2