The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Tarzan CLOSES July 8th 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

That's a brilliant show.
The additional songs are a lot deeper than the original Disney movie, the costumes are brilliant, it's just an all-together good show.
As is Beauty and the Beast.

I think Disney has the potential to have good shows if they try.

I never saw Tarzan though so I can't really say anything.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:07 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

^But The Lion King lacked a lot..... like, a script.

Beauty and the Beast is by far one of my favorite musicals, but I must say that it was pretty much the cartoon on stage... which in some aspects was good (like for the little kids, and good memories for me and my family) but if you wanted a fresh, new take on the story, Broadway probably wouldn't be the best way to see it.
Don't get me wrong - I absolutely adored the show. It was phenomenal. But... nothing new, ya know?

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:03 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think it's too bad. I like the music, and frankly, I would have liked to have seen it.

Ditto.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

[quote="musikal_geek"]^But The Lion King lacked a lot..... like, a script.

quote]

I agree. The Lion King was so visually moving and had beautiful songs, but I left the theatre feeling like I hadn't just seen a Broadway show, you know? It just left me feeling empty. All spectacle, no filler. :?

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:32 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

You don't agree, Pish? Do you really want to see chain stores, children, moral conservatives, a family audience, anywhere near the arts? The arts were created to offend these people and show our disdain for them! Satire comes from satyr play- to mock the conventions and morals of the majority! We should damn the majority, not invite them to partake in entertainment!

You have got to be kidding me. The purpose of art is to express something, not to "offend and show our disdain" for people. You honestly think all the past great works were written to offend? Beaumarchias' Figaro trilogy? The Shakespearan histories... or the nature romances? The Illiad and the Oydessy?

Have you ever seen a photograph of a Greek ampitheatre? Those *definitely* weren't built to hold up to 14 000 people.

Oy.

Check out my blog: http://moneycostssomedreams.blogspot.com

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:24 am
Profile WWW

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:27 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

...The arts were created to offend these people and show our disdain for them! ...

People have been arguing about what the purpose of art is for centuries. You can't make a broad sweeping statement like that without adding something along the lines of 'in my opinion.'

Yeah some art was intended to be subversive. But some art was intended to be educational, like those old passion plays. And some art is meant to have NO MEANING WHATSOEVER and the creators are pissed when someone tries to GIVE it meaning.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Two of my best friends saw it in May 2006, and they were like "Omg . It is sooooooo cool! One of the bewst shows!" It was only their second show so they were kinda new to the whole Broadway scene. But I absolutely had no desire to ever see the show.

Much thanks to xxstagekiss for the wonderful banner.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:56 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...
My sister didn't believe me when I told her this. XD

Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:28 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post TARZAN - Design Approach
AllThatJazzHands wrote:
The music is pretty good. It's just that I can't get over that set design.

pish123c wrote:
Yeah, I heard the set was inflatable and you could see the wires when they "swung from the vines".

This was really the fatal flaw for Tarzan. Because the book and score are generally adequate without being brilliant, the show really needed something that made it theatrically effective. The "nuts and bolts" approach to the design and staging didn't really work here, nor did the mix of various representational styles work alongside the more traditional, presentational aspects of the staging. Steps were taken to rectify this in the Dutch production through the use of a non-traditional theatre space that incoporated a circus-like arena staging of the show with new choreography. It certainly made for a completely different response to the show as far as the audiences over there were concerned. I wish that this had been taken all the way to a full-on environmental staging of the show, whcih I think would work best for the material, instead of still relying to a large extent on elements of the original production. Perhaps it will happen someday - and if the book and score can be refined somewhat along the way, that'll be great too.

Vice wrote:
Those are supposed to be gorilla costumes? ... They just look... bad.

I'd imagine the intention was to design something that would allow the actor maximum flexibility and that wouldn't get in the way of the flying. That's not to say that the design couldn't have been bettered; in fact, I'm certain it could have been. But it does fall in line with Bob Crowley's "nuts and bolts" approach to the design of the show, which as stated above was a misguided choice, one that ultimately was to the the detriment of the entire production as a whole.

Later days
David

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:12 pm
Profile WWW

You already said that. Why did you delete it, only to repost it?

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3