The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What happened to Tantor? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post What happened to Tantor?
In the Disney movie there is an Elephant named Tantor....but there is no Tantor in the show :( What happened?

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:19 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

He got cut...I guess they couldn't figure out a good way to stick him in there. It's too bad, but characters are cut from shows all the time unforunately...

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I wish they had kept Terk as a girl, as well. It took many people a few times to watch the movie before they actually realized that it was a girl, but I think she could have been really awesome live. If you get a real great, whacky powerhouse, her role would have been probably the best in the show.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:18 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I wish they had kept Terk as a girl, as well. It took many people a few times to watch the movie before they actually realized that it was a girl, but I think she could have been really awesome live. If you get a real great, whacky powerhouse, her role would have been probably the best in the show.

Absolutely. But I think they wanted that 'big brother' type relationship for Tarzan here. I love Chester and his performance, but this DOES confuse people even more on Terk's gender. :lol:

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:59 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Re: What happened to Tantor?
Broadwayluver93 wrote:
In the Disney movie there is an Elephant named Tantor, but there is no Tantor in the show.

musikal_geek wrote:
I wish they had kept Terk as a girl, as well.

As I've said before, both Tantor and Rosie as a female Terk were things that didn't really work in the film. The style of the comedy used for both characters worked against the film's general mood and atmosphere and undermined the narrative to a certain extent. I found both characters jarring in the film and I certainly thing those two changes are probably for the better.

Later days
David

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

That's your opinion, however. :) Many of us enjoyed how Terk and Tantor played off of each other. They are two of my favorite characters from the movie.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:39 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
That's your opinion, however. Many of us enjoyed how Terk and Tantor played off of each other. They are two of my favorite characters from the movie.

Opinion has nothing to do with it - my point was based on a objective look at why the characters didn't work in the film and why the alterations were made for the stage. I also think Tantor dipping his toes into the water and saying "Are you sure this water is sanitary?" is cute. But I can clearly see that it is destructive to the overall tone of the film.

And as far as the "it's my opinion" argument goes - well, obviously everyone is generally writing from their own subjective standpoint. But I also think it's a bit of a coward's solution when jusifying whether something works theatrically or on film. Sure you can like something, but does that mean it's appropriate?

If someone gives me a real reason for his/her argument, then I'll have a look at my standpoint. Even if I don't change my perspective, at the end of the day I'll really respect his/her point of view. But this "opinion" thing usually isn't enough to sway me - it's so wishy washy.

Later days
David

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Broadwayluver93 wrote:
In the Disney movie there is an Elephant named Tantor....but there is no Tantor in the show :( What happened?

it got cut they obviously thought it would look silly for a person walking around bent over like an elephant.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:35 pm

DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
Broadwayluver93 wrote:

it got cut they obviously thought it would look silly for a person walking around bent over like an elephant.

No, they wouldn't be walking around bent over like an elephant.

Tarzan is a musical theatre show where people use their imaginations. They wouldn't need to walk around hunched over because of something that we in the business call a costume.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:11 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
Broadwayluver93 wrote:

No, they wouldn't be walking around bent over like an elephant.

Tarzan is a musical theatre show where people use their imaginations. They wouldn't need to walk around hunched over because of something that we in the business call a costume.

whatever ok?? they obviously thought that it would look silly and no1 would understand just because i like tarzan and u dont doesnt give u the right to be mad about everything i say.

I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 pm

I didn't get mad. Honest. I'm trying to help you out here and give you a better understanding of what we are discussing.

Take Seussical, for example. Horton is the lead (or one of them anyways, let's not get into that again), so the actor would be sore as can be if he had to walk on all fours for two and a half hours every night. So they used their imaginations and gave him a simple costume, leaving it up to the audience to imagine what the elephant actually looks like.

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:04 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I didn't get mad. Honest. I'm trying to help you out here and give you a better understanding of what we are discussing.

Take Seussical, for example. Horton is the lead (or one of them anyways, let's not get into that again), so the actor would be sore as can be if he had to walk on all fours for two and a half hours every night. So they used their imaginations and gave him a simple costume, leaving it up to the audience to imagine what the elephant actually looks like.

ok i get that i was just saying that i mean im not saying they wouldnt use costumes it either 1. they thought it would look silly or 2. they just cut him

I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next