The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
IS IT TRUE THAT...? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm always a tad skeptical of Disney2Broadway..
but I saw Tarzan....
I can't say it was one of my favorites..
and they could have made a better choice on a story to put on stage.

However.. the music was decent..
not fantastic..
but passable.

And yes. The spider is TERRIBLY fake looking.
But i wonder if maybe its SUPPOSED to be fake looking?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

^It was added to the stage show.... I guess it may have been a deleted scene or something... but most likely written just for Broadway. :)

It's also in the Dutch version
And it's great, stupid that they cut it!

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:07 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Luc wrote:
^It was added to the stage show.... I guess it may have been a deleted scene or something... but most likely written just for Broadway. :)

It's also in the Dutch version
And it's great, stupid that they cut it!

I was going to say just that. I think it's one of the most brilliant scenes, I laughed so hard.
(I liked Chantal way better then Bente though. She might have improved, but when I saw her, her scream was... well... not convincing.)

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:54 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I was going to say just that. I think it's one of the most brilliant scenes, I laughed so hard.
(I liked Chantal way better then Bente though. She might have improved, but when I saw her, her scream was... well... not convincing.)

I only saw Irene Borst. Well I've been to Tarzan in NL twice, but first time was in the orchestra pit, no idea who played Jane back then. Second time, Chantal was pregnant (yay, she has a son called James now!:)), so she wasn't there. I'm going to see the show again on 1st of Feb. Do you live in NL? I mean.. you've seen the show in NL, that's why I ask ;-)

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:29 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Though I think the difference in how successful it was in the Netherlands and on Broadway is surprising. Do you know what they changed for the Dutch version? Because I really loved it and I'm surprised people in the USA didn't.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:09 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post TARZAN Changes from Broadway to Holland
Jaym wrote:
Do you know what they changed for the Dutch version? Because I really loved it and I'm surprised people in the USA didn't.

As far as I know none of the changes to the script or score were major, but the staging was different because of the way the space was set up. This environmental approach to the staging of the show was a great idea, with the jungle set in an arena allowing for moments like this:

Jim Hill wrote:
Take - for example - how Jane makes her entrance in the Dutch production. Instead of just walking out on stage, Miss Porter now enters from the back of the hall and walks through the audience. Mind you, what adds to the fun of this moment in the show is - as Jane comes down the aisle - Tarzan suddenly appears high above the floor of Circustheatre's auditorium. Literally hanging above the audience seated in the hall, the ape man then observes this beautiful creature as she carefully makes her way through the jungle.

You just don't get that in a traditional proscenium arch set up. An envirnomenal approach in a non-traditional space makes complete sense for a show like Tarzan. New choreography was needed to make the shift in spatial arrangements and Sergio Trujillo was hired to redo Meryl Tankard's choreography for the show. That all makes perfect sense to me - as does the difference in audience reaction - and is certainly a step in the right direction for the show in terms of its staging.

Later days
David

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2