The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
amazing music! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post amazing music!
I haven't seen it yet but I'm planning to this summer. I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of the soundtrack from my coworker at UMGD and it's getting me even more excited to go see it live! Phil Collins did a great job on the music and lyrics, the songs are sooo beautiful. Paired with the live stage production, I can't even imagine how great it is! I've been checking out www.tarzanthemusical.com and the cast seems pretty promising. Anyone seen it already or heard the songs?

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just saw the show yesterday and the music seemed really weak. The actors and actresses had great voices and the orchestrations were good enough, but the songs just felt boring... nothing overly memorable other than the two songs from the movie and I enjoyed "Different" somewhat more than the rest of the show. It definitely got better towards the end, though, but it just felt poorly put together.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:23 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I agree the cast recording is amazing. Phil Collins wrote some great additional songs from the Disney Movie.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:27 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I have the OBCR which is pretty good. My favorite songs on it are the original ones from the movie. I don't like any of the new songs, except for "Different" and "For the First Time". Although sometimes in FTFT I actually cringe and Tarzan's voice, no jokes.

I think Disney on Broadway's time is just about up (although I really enjoyed the OLCR for Mary Poppins).

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have the OBCR which is pretty good. My favorite songs on it are the original ones from the movie. I don't like any of the new songs, except for "Different" and "For the First Time". Although sometimes in FTFT I actually cringe and Tarzan's voice, no jokes.

I think Disney on Broadway's time is just about up (although I really enjoyed the OLCR for Mary Poppins).

I agree that Disney really stretched it a bit with this one. However I also enjoyed Mary Poppins.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:36 pm
I thought the cast was brilliant. Even though the musical was very simple... like how they let all the wires and harnesses show and kept a basic set... I loved it. It sounds silly.. but I was amazed watching all the monkeys that were constantly swinging around the stage. What can I say? I'm a kid at heart and I love the movie.
The music is amazing... but I'd have to say Different and Strangers Like Me are my favorite songs.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 pm
I thought Disney could have done better. But I loved the music.

I loved "Who better than me"

had it stuck in my head for days after I saw the show.

and I can't remember the name of it, but I liked the song between Kala and Kerchak.

All the music from the movie was still just as amazing as I remember. "Son of man", "Two Worlds", "Strangers like me" were all great. Everyone's voices were really great IMO.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:48 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Who Better Than Me was one of my favorites too. I loved all the songs though, especially Son of Man and Trashin' the Camp. However, does anyone else think that Josh Strickland (Tarzan on the cd and in the show) sound a tad too feminine. When I first got the cd, I wasn't paying attention to who was singing at the time, and I thought Tarzan was actually Jane during Different. I don't know. I honestly think Tarzan's understudy (Kevin Massey, who I saw when i went to New York) is much better. Oh well

BATB Virtual Cast Nov. 2006 - Maurice, U/S Beast
Hairspray Virtual Cast May 2007 - Corny Collins, U/S Wilbur
Currently In: Fiddler on the Roof, Motel

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Who Better Than Me was one of my favorites too. I loved all the songs though, especially Son of Man and Trashin' the Camp. However, does anyone else think that Josh Strickland (Tarzan on the cd and in the show) sound a tad too feminine. When I first got the cd, I wasn't paying attention to who was singing at the time, and I thought Tarzan was actually Jane during Different. I don't know. I honestly think Tarzan's understudy (Kevin Massey, who I saw when i went to New York) is much better. Oh well

Yeeeeesss!!! I totally think that!

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:24 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

When I listened to the soundtrack I didn't like the music, but to me it sounded better live. A lot better. Like I really liked the music when I saw the show! I like some of the new songs a lot more than the old ones such as "Who Better Than Me" and I also enjoyed young tarzan's song as well as jane and tarzan's duet...and the surprising one was jane's solo at end of act one or the beginning of act two- I actually loathed the song when I heard the cast recording...but when I saw it onstage it sounded different I don't even know why. It was more enjoyable. I think they brought up some of the tempos or something?

Sun May 06, 2007 5:49 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: amazing music!
treblemaker32 wrote:
I haven't seen it yet but I'm planning to this summer. I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of the soundtrack from my coworker at UMGD and it's getting me even more excited to go see it live! Phil Collins did a great job on the music and lyrics, the songs are sooo beautiful. Paired with the live stage production, I can't even imagine how great it is! I've been checking out www.tarzanthemusical.com and the cast seems pretty promising. Anyone seen it already or heard the songs?

i've seen itr heard it lOVE IT!

I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:45 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Disney should NOT try to make stage musicals when it comes to their animated films except when mosty humans are the characters.

Here are the exceptions to this rule. Beauty and the Beast. That was the BEST disney stage adaptation. It was more than just a beast head. The staging was magnificent. I even like the storyline better than the movie. And the new songs were awesome. Good job. I saw it at the Schuebert in Century City quite some time ago. Even the dance with wolves was done very well. This musical should have been a musical before a movie. When I saw the movie as a little kid, I could even imagine the first number being from a musical. NO tacky costumes or staging. Eveerything was brilliant.

Disney's the Lion king. Great adaptation to stage. It was not just dudes in a lion costume. I felt it like it was an artistic piece--having actors telling the story as if they were telling the story from a African stoytelling standpoint using tribal garments yet a head to signify which character they are such as Mufasa, scar, or whomever. I could see it both as actors (humans) interacting with other humans. And I could also see it as Simba(a cute little lion cub) talking to his father Mufasa.

I think Disney would done much better dealing with Mulan as stage musical rather than Tarzan. Mulan as more human characteristics. You could even add ethnic dances and even dances with spears. Why not add a fire breather? Yeah, some of the backdrops would have to change. Instead of having "I'll Turn a Man out of YOu" in a camp, that number could easily be done at the court of the imperial palace. Man, this totally could be a musical.

Other than that, Disney should stop making stage versions out of animated musicals. And the live action Film, Mary Poppins was almost basically a musical to start with. It sort of had that old musical feeling like "Showboat." Well, not that old. I really am not into old musicals except Guys and Dolls. But you get the picture.

I have not seen Little Mermaid. I would imagine it would have great numbers, but not a great adaptation. Again, Mulan should have been the Movie to turn into musical.

Now, the new Movie by Disney is "The Princess and The Frog." DISNEY--DO NOT RUIN YOUR MOVIE BUT ADAPTING THIS STORY INTO A STAGE VERSION. but then again, I do not even want to see the movie.

The Emperors New Groove--DO NOT MAKE THIS A MUSICAL. I love it as a film and it is SUPER FUNNY. Leave it this way. I could see one song being for the stage. But this movie is not meant to be a musical.

The next movie that might actually work would be Newsies. In fact, if Disney wants to make a real stage adaptation, do NEWSIES. Yeah, there would have to be like 10 more songs added, but this musical would have potential. Plus, if it had a broadway debut, you can hire people that really do have that "bronx/queens" acccent. But I think it would be better if they hire 18 to look youngers (18-27) rather than real minors who are under 18. Chances are they might already be Equity and would not have to get all that Coogan account junk done.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next