The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Anyone Going to See This? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Beauty and the Beast and Lion King are one thing. These were shows that actually had a lot of music in them as movies.

However, I don't recall Tarzan being that great as a movie musically...as I didn't really think the characters sang. I may be wrong though. Or biased as I never liked it as a movie to begin with.

Tue May 09, 2006 1:43 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post oh pa-lease
Just because you didnt like the MOVIE, doesn't mean you wont like the MUSICAL. I personally HATE the B&TB movie, but when i see the show, I get a totally different impression. Its great in person. And Phil Collins is amazing.

so for the people who HAVE seen it... HOW WAS IT?!!!

Thu May 25, 2006 12:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Funny, people said a lot of the same things about B&B and the Lion King. This was one of the last great Disney films of the the new generation so it should make a cool show. I'm giving it a chance, definitely.

I gave it a chance and I hated the show. I like the movie, but I think they slaughtered the musical. The set showed, IMO, a lack of creativity and was quite ugly. The acting was quite dry and uninvolved.

Vocally the show was great, not a huge fan of some of the songs, but at least the actors could sing. And all the aerial work was done well also.

I think Disney needs to select which movie to bring to Broadway a little more carefully. Toy Story would've turned out better than this. I saw Lion King during it's very first Pre-Broadway run in Minneapolis and was amazed. Saw it later on Broadway and was even more amazed. I know Disney can do great things on stage, but this is NOT one of them.

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:01 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The show was enjoyable, just not utterly amazing. All the vocals were outstanding, as were the special effects, and costumes, but the acting sucked. Jane, she was very weak, although she could definitely sing, she just seemed kind of....plain. Kerchak was a different story- although I loved his voice, and his acting was acceptable, the songs he was given just stunk. The one he sang with Kala was kind of blah... didn't fit the style of the show, and there was hardly any chemistry between him and Dandridge at all.

Merle Dandrige however, rocked hands down. She actually got one of the decent songs in the show to sing (You'll be in My Heart) and as an audience member, you can really feel for her loss of a child and desperate need for Tarzan. Josh Strickland also rocked, although I had doubts as he is coming from American Idol, his acting was superb and singing fantastic.

Overall I would give it about a 6/10.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree with TDQ, except I didn't really like Kerchak... and I didn't care for Terk either.

Last edited by Baker on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:51 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

They cut the Elephant!!!!! The Elephant was like, the funniest part in the movie!! That part made me very sad... :(

"Is this water sanitary??? Looks questionable to me.."

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:52 pm
I saw it back in April. I thought it was okay. I think Disney could have done much better, though.

The talent was good. Shuler Hensley, Josh Strickland, and Chester Gregory II rocked. But I wasn't crazy about Jane (Jenn Gambatese).

I LOVED Alex Rutherford (Young Tarzan), and Merle Dandridge (Kala)

I hated the way Mr. Clayton was portrayed. I thought the guy's southern accent was horrible (trust me it's where I am from).

The problem was with the part you'd think Disney would be best at Spectacle. The first ten minutes was amazing (They made it look like the actors were actually swimming in water), but after that I could tell how everything was done. I sat in the Mezz, and you could see the backstage hands as they did everything.

But the cool part was Tarzan and the butterfly came out right over our heads. That was cool.

Basically I went in expecting the quality of Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, and came out very dissapointed.

It was an okay show. Talent: amazing. Spectacle: weak.

But I will add that they were in previews. So, things could have majorly improved. I think it's worth seeing just for the actors.

angellwings

P.S. I missed the elephant, too! It was sad, I loved him in the movie.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:34 pm
well i was excited to see this show when i was in NYC in May.. but the reviews were horrible and to be honest I like the movie. Its cute, touching, funny but not very musical. So I decided against it. Saw the color purple instead WOW!!!!!! what a show! amazing.. in any case. I believe Lion king to be number 1 in disney musicals and Beauty and the Beast a close 2nd. I can't wait to see Mary Poppins.. i hear its a gorgeous show with great classic songs. But coming in 2007-08..The Little Mermaid on Broadway...thats going to be great!!!!!! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little ... 89_film%29

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Much thanks to xxstagekiss for the wonderful banner.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I have the CD and I think it is awesome. I really want to see this show. maybe the next time I head up to NYC it will be tops on my list.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:06 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I pretty much agree with everything all the other people have said on the board about the show: the music's great, Kala's amazing, Terk is great too; Our Tarzan was the understudy Joshua Kobak: he sounded just like Josh Strickland on the CD so I thought the understudy wasn't even singing (though he probably was) I loved the new song "Everything That I Am"; the swinging vine scenes were pretty cool, despite the fact that you could see the wires from the back row, but the opening water/beach climbing scene was amazing. The acting was pretty good. I'd see it, but don't expect a Beauty and the Beast or Lion King.

Currently:
Bushyhead Group/Townswoman (Oklahoma!)

Past Role:
Madame de la Grande Bouche (Beauty and the Beast)

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Someone mentioned they cut out the spider scene because it felt fake. What does Tazan rescue Jane from now?

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next