The Resource For Musicals

The Drowsy Chaperone Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
London's Drowsy Chaperone to Close 4 August 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post London's Drowsy Chaperone to Close 4 August
http://www.theatre.com/story/id/3008049

I am very unhappy about this. We went to see the show last wednesday am i was amazed. My face hurt when we left the theater from laughing/smiling through the whole show. It has not been as big as it should be in the west end.

Why is this?

Does the Uk want original exciting productions?

Or is The Drowsy Chaperone just a musical for the musicals lovers?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Elaine Paige's performance probably killed. it she is the Ted McGinley of theatre.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't think it had enough marketing and publicity. Also, the theatre is not in the main bulk of theatre land so location could be a reason. Also, Elaine Paige, you either love her or hate her (I feel the later) so she could've made the show popular or killed it (I think the later again).

It's a shame as I wanted to see it but probably won't be able too.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I'm gonna have to see it again before it finishes. Paige wasn't bad in the production but it needed more than just a name these days to have a hit in the West End. The same formula in Broadway doesn't always work in the West End especially with the onslaught of various Broadway Musicals populating London at the moment.

Some shows just have to go I guess... which is such a shame as I did enjoy Drowsy a lot.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Also, Elaine Paige, you either love her or hate her (I feel the later) so she could've made the show popular or killed it (I think the later again).

I hate her but she was good in Drowsy

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, West End
http://www.chris-jenkins.co.uk

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I can't picture her in this show at all...maybe it's just me...

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:11 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I REALLY HATED Drowsy when I saw it on Broadway (Sutton could have been much better) but my Mom (who HATES Wicked and B&B...ect.) LOVED it.

I really wanted to go see it in London for two reasons:
1) I <3ed Elaine's perfomance as Grizabella on the tape of Cats
and
2) JOHN PARTRIDGE! I <3 his Rum Tum and I want to see him live.

Too bad it would take too long to get a passport.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:40 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I saw the show - at a free production for people in the business, so I had a very different audience reception to most shows. Naturally, it went down very well. However... I knew this show was not right for London and that it wouldn't last 4 weeks.

My theories for "The Drowsy Closure":

1) The Marketing and PR. It was dire. There was no British website, there were no ads on the buses, in the streets or anything. You wouldn't know this show was on, what it was about or anything like that - unless you were a traveller on the London Underground. The more beady eyed amongst you may have realised it changed its marketing campaign just as the show opened, with a new image on the posters and stuff...but, obviously it didn't work.

2) Whist Elaine Paige is a very respected west end theatre star (in some peoples' eyes...I don't care about stars - nor who is in a show), it's not enough nowadays - and she certainly didn't wow me. For all I knew, she didn't have to prepare much to walk on stage drunk and warble one big song :) (Though, "As We Stumble Along" is a great song!)

3) I disagree slightly with the comment about the theatre not being in the heart of theatreland. Okay, so it's slightly out of the way - but it's within 1 minute walk of The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, The Fortune Theatre and The Lyceum Theatre - all of which (well, 2 out of three arguably) have very popular shows on. The theatre is, however, hidden on the corner of a street, again - making it difficult to spot.

4) Summer came early this year. The show obviously needed a good opening to spread the word, and - who wants to spend an afternoon or evening in a theatre when there are more things to do?

5) London doesn't care about Broadway style 1920s musical comedies. Well, I guess some of us do care...but not coach parties (which is what the West End survives on). It's not like Broadway - where this show belongs - as it's a love letter to Broadway, purely idolising the American musical art form. London was the city that invented the musical for the rest of the world, so we have our own stlye of shows that we love - and Drowsy isn't one of them - sadly.

6) Bob Martin's departure. As a sidenote, it annoys me that all people talk about is the leading girls...and not Mr Martin's amazing performance and writing - he is the true star of the show. He is leaving early...and, maybe a lot of audience members would be interested in seeing his performance again and again (maybe to see if he improvises!), and as he's now gone...we won't be blessed with that chance. I consider myself very lucky to have seen him, and thoroughly enjoyed his performance.

Whilst I am not surprised to see this happen, it is saddening - only for the cast and crew involved who were looking forward to a year's employment. It's the same blow as getting fired.

As another sidenote, this style of show is not hugely popular here now...The Producers Tour is struggling (it closed only after 3 years in London), Spamalot is also struggling - and now The Drowsy Chaperone is calling it quits. I think that proves that the American Musical Comedy/Parody is not alive and well in the UK - ironic considering Spamalot is British in its roots, but it's still a very American production.

Here endeth the rant.

www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:25 am
Profile YIM WWW

I REALLY HATED Drowsy when I saw it on Broadway (Sutton could have been much better) but my Mom (who HATES Wicked and B&B...ect.) LOVED it.

I really wanted to go see it in London for two reasons:
1) I <3ed Elaine's perfomance as Grizabella on the tape of Cats
and
2) JOHN PARTRIDGE! I <3 his Rum Tum and I want to see him live.

Too bad it would take too long to get a passport.

Seems like your mother has alot better taste in musicals than you do.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I saw one of the previews in the West end. I was so sad to here it close. Bob Martin was amazing! Elaine Paige and Summer Strallen were brilliant too! But to be honest, my favortie cast member was Anne Rogers as Ms. Tottandale (sp?). She stole the show for me. I was so excited to get the cast album with them on it, but they cancelled it since the show closed to soon. That show was amazing! I wish it would of lasted longer on the West End!

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

It doesn't matter who's in it. This show was, sadly, a bad idea for west end audiences.

www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:18 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]