The Resource For Musicals

The Drowsy Chaperone Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Plot Synopsis? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Plot Synopsis?
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I wish that I knew what this show was about. My best guess is that the show is about an alcoholic chauffer and chaperone who works for, and spoils, a rich, underaged flirt.

I'm curious to know if my best guess is correct.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:05 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post The emoticon was really necessary?
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

Was that emoticon really necessary? I mean, how was I supposed to know about Playbill?

Really!

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:17 pm

Gosh, Salome, who's ever heard of Playbill? Really. :wink:

Anyways, in short, it's about a man in a chair (who I don't believe has a name). His favorite musical is The Drowsy Chaperone, an old classic musical that you've never heard of, similar in style to the Cole Porter classics. He begins to play his old The Drowsy Chaperone record as the musical comes to life right in his apartment. This is the story of a Broadway actress, Janet Van De Graaaff (played by the amazing Sutton Foster), who wants to marry and give up her stage career. Her producer must stop the wedding because if she leaves showbiz, he'll have no job. The plot unfolds with: "Mix ups, mayhem, and a gay wedding!... Of course, the term gay wedding has another meaning today...but back then it just meant fun! And that's all this show is, fun."

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

hhmmm, ive never heard of this show.... You reckon it will come across to West End?

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Is this another pop belt musical, or is it somewhat original? Sorry to sound so cynical but I'm sort of sick of pop belt synthesizer musicals at the moment, trying to branch out a little! :wink:

Maria, concert of West Side Story music
Lady Larken, OUaM
Upcoming Auditions:
Little Shop
Godspell

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:25 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

My friend was suppose to lend me her copy of Drowsy to listen to but she never did so i've only heard some of the songs. Of what I've heard this is a very very very original and creative show. I think it's hilarious and I like the idea of combining a musical into a comedy, very ingenious :)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:32 pm
If anyone is still watching this thread, here's a link to a good synopsis:
http://www.geocities.com/JoeCable1996/b ... erone.html

I missed seeing The Drowsy Chaperone when it premiered here in Los Angeles. Was subsequently delighted by the number shown on the Tony broadcast ("I Don't Wanna Show Off"), kept hearing songs from the show on some online radio, and then an acquaintance who DID see the show here raved about it...and finally purchased the cast album which is quite charming. Knowing some of the details of the show helps. Also, look for some of the promotional videos that are available online for a sense of the tone and ambience of the production as well (just google "drowsy chaperone video").

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:27 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Is this another pop belt musical, or is it somewhat original? Sorry to sound so cynical but I'm sort of sick of pop belt synthesizer musicals at the moment, trying to branch out a little! :wink:

This is nowhere near the pop-anthem musical, as its inspiration is old 20's musicals. I haven't seen the show but I got the soundtrack for my birthday, and I really enjoy it, especially Bob Martin (man in chair), Sutton Foster (Janet) and Beth Leveal (Drowsy).

It's actually a Canadian musical which had it's origins somewhere in Toronto, I believe. Bob Martin actually hails from this original creative team as well, I think.

Hope this helps

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:38 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Not really trying to "show off" here but I've seen this musical at The Marquis Theatre in Broadway last December. I've always been an avid admirer of Foster and when I learned that she's still in Drowsy, I decided to get a ticket for the show.

From what I gathered on my free Playbill (yeah Londoners... we never get a free program here), Bob Martin wrote the book too.

The two lovers in the fictional 1920's musical (favourite of The Man In Chair) are named Robert Martin and Janet Van der Graaf and yes, that's Bob Martin and his wife. It's just namesakes.. nothing to do with the real people at all.

Anyways, it's called The Drowsy Chaperone because Janet's chaperone is always drunk and tipsy... the role which will be played by Elaine Paige in London.

The Broadway cast is quite impressive I must say. It showed how multi-talented Sutton Foster is. Her high kicks are as impressive as her splitting. She could dance as well as she could sing. I don't quite know how she manages to sing while drinking water from a glass as in the last bit of "Show Off", but I think that that song was her most amazing performance in the show.

Edward Hibbert (from Frasier) and Georgia Engel (from Everybody Loves Raymond) were also in the Broadway cast and provided good laughs.

I wouldn't mind seeing this show again once it begins performances in London. I just hope that the actor playing the Janet Van de Graff role would pull it off. Cross fingers. 8)

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I've always assumed Sutton's singing while drinking was a recording?

Bob Martin did write the book in the end, along with Don McKellar. But the initial concept of the musical, without the Man in the Chair, was written by Don McKellar and the lyricists Lisa Lambert and Greg Morisson, for the stag party before Bob and Janet Van De Graaff's wedding. And then the piece progressed from there.

Pretty sure that's the story.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:48 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've always assumed Sutton's singing while drinking was a recording?

hehehe, must be. Just that I'm overly amazed by Foster that I think she's capable of anything. :lol:

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next